D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And how does "Sir Coque Goblar" feel about his earlier character choices when it comes to the later dramatic scenes?
Jeeeesus LOL thankfully I haven’t seen anything that bad since I was still afraid of making my parents mad! 😂

One guy is much more of the type to not get too deep into the sauce until he really has a feel for the character, but even he doesn’t do pun names. He had a kenku ranger named Skrawk or soemthing like that, but yeah we just tend to start out being silly in game, and things tend to start getting more and more serious as the game goes on.

doctorbadwolf

I hear what you are saying but I see and read a lot of news articles and most I end up not caring about or forgetting moments later. I still don’t think that most people who saw these articles care or will change their behavior based on them. We are attuned to these stories because we are in the hobby so they stick out to us. For most people they are just one of a million news items that will come across their screens that week.
I really think you’re dismissing something because we have all spent years and years being reminded that our entire hobby is smaller than the fandom for the Dallas Cowboys, but that isn’t true anymore. D&D is well known, and most people who are going to be excited about the movie coming up will have seen negative news about D&D recently.

Any discussion of what impact it will have on box office is outside the scope of what I replied to comment on.

I really think you’re dismissing something because we have all spent years and years being reminded that our entire hobby is smaller than the fandom for the Dallas Cowboys, but that isn’t true anymore. D&D is well known, and most people who are going to be excited about the movie coming up will have seen negative news about D&D recently.

Any discussion of what impact it will have on box office is outside the scope of what I replied to comment on.
I understand. I guess we just see this differently which is ok.

The past two day I asked 15 people who don’t play D&D about the movie and the OGL controversy. 4 of the 15 had heard of the movie. One of the 15 had seen a preview. None of the 15 had heard or seen anything about the OGL at least as far as they recall. I know this is a meaningless sample size but it illustrates my point.

I want to try and keep an open mind.....

......but right at the start they have the barbarian fight with a brick. A Brick?! WHY? Saddly I know what this means: all the fights vs real people will be the dumb slapstick non-combat. So we will see the dumb "tap the foe with the sword and they will..yuck yuck fall down and go to sleep" and "tap a foe with a battle axe and it trips them and they fall down and go boom and fall asleep".

So the "have weapons but never use them" is a big red flag for me, as it's part of the over all "this movie will be barley pg-13 slapstick silly comedy'. Though sure they will use the weapons "for real" vs all the CGI spam monsters, because video game cgi combat is OK.

And it's hard to tell from a trailer but the wizard SHOULD be 'pew pew' ing away with magic missiles every combat, right? As it's a at will cantrip in 5E....wonder if the character will just "forget" to do it?

But then I wonder what level the group will be? Sure they will have ACs of 100, and 100 hit points, and plot armor and such. But if they are above 3rd level we should see some noticeable abilities. Though they will likely be at least 5th level so the wizard gets fireball.

And Red Wizards......guess that makes it a Forgotten Realms movie, wonder if we will see the Sword Coast and Waterdeep....

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
And it's hard to tell from a trailer but the wizard SHOULD be 'pew pew' ing away with magic missiles every combat, right? As it's a at will cantrip in 5E....wonder if the character will just "forget" to do it?

Optimization may not be the enemy of fun, but it is certainly the enemy of a good drama.
-Bill James, probably.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
......but right at the start they have the barbarian fight with a brick. A Brick?! WHY? Saddly I know what this means: all the fights vs real people will be the dumb slapstick non-combat.
They're prisoners at that point. Using an improvised weapon at that point makes perfect sense. (It's actually how things go in the real world, in fact.)

They use their real weapons all over the trailers we've seen to date, whether it's the barbarian's molten axe or the paladin's fancy magic sword.

Not a cantrip, not a wizard. And he is pew-pewing in the previous trailer.
But then I wonder what level the group will be? Sure they will have ACs of 100, and 100 hit points, and plot armor and such. But if they are above 3rd level we should see some noticeable abilities. Though they will likely be at least 5th level so the wizard gets fireball.

And Red Wizards......guess that makes it a Forgotten Realms movie, wonder if we will see the Sword Coast and Waterdeep....
It's Neverwinter.

Iosue

Legend
I want to try and keep an open mind.....

......but right at the start they have the barbarian fight with a brick. A Brick?! WHY? Saddly I know what this means: all the fights vs real people will be the dumb slapstick non-combat. So we will see the dumb "tap the foe with the sword and they will..yuck yuck fall down and go to sleep" and "tap a foe with a battle axe and it trips them and they fall down and go boom and fall asleep".

So the "have weapons but never use them" is a big red flag for me, as it's part of the over all "this movie will be barley pg-13 slapstick silly comedy'. Though sure they will use the weapons "for real" vs all the CGI spam monsters, because video game cgi combat is OK.
She’s fighting with a brick because they are prisoners and have no weapons.

And the first trailer showed the paladin stabbing a human foe with his sword.
Couple things:
Magic missile is not an at will cantrip in 5e. The character is a sorcerer, not a wizard. Sorcerers do get at-will Eldritch Blasts, which you can see him spamming when the party is fighting the Red Wizard.

Setting all that aside, though, surely it would be more interesting and magical if the magic user uses a variety of spells, rather than just spamming at-will energy bolts like Iron Man?
Neverwinter and Icewind Dale are confirmed.

doctorbadwolf

I understand. I guess we just see this differently which is ok.

The past two day I asked 15 people who don’t play D&D about the movie and the OGL controversy. 4 of the 15 had heard of the movie. One of the 15 had seen a preview. None of the 15 had heard or seen anything about the OGL at least as far as they recall. I know this is a meaningless sample size but it illustrates my point.
Sure, and I have had people I know bring it up to me because they know I'm a nerd, and they saw something about it in a completely non-nerd-related space, not to mention that most people I've brought it up with had some idea what I was talking about already.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases