D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

mamba

Legend
Is it possible (or maybe the better question is "is it likely") that they get a cut of the box office? I don't really know how deals like that work at this level of film, so I'm genuinely curious.
I’d say likely… if you expect the movie to be a success, you take a percentage, if you expect it to fail, you take a lump sum. See The Witcher games ;)

pumasleeve

Explorer
Guarded optimism - a trailer does not a movie make. The trailer for the first Suicide Squad had me super jazzed and look how that turned out...

Edit: not thrilled about the lazy writing they chose to showcase:

Character: Don't do the thing!

[thing happens]

Character 2: I did the thing. Sorry.

[me rolling eyes]
At least suicide squad gave us Harley Quinn. This move looks like 2000s era cgi effects and a bad script

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Does China know or care?
Now_All_of_China_Knows_You're_Here.jpg

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I'm glad the black dragon isn't in this one. I want to have words with the director who thought interpreting the black dragon breath weapon as "vomiting crude oil" would be cool.

Undrave

Legend
Closer to the other way around IME.
Ah, the Slap-Happy Jack principle!

On this I disagree. Pathfinder is more well known than many fantasy book series that have been adapted into films in recent years, they have solid stories to draw from, and would probably feature a goblin in the main cast. I think it’d do fine.
Do those fantasy book get movie adaptations? I feel like a Pathfinder movie after a D&D movie comes out would look like a cheap knock off to the lambda viewer… I don’t know if it’s something a studio would like to get involved with.

does that include the marketing? Usually that is about as much as the movie itself
Yeah. It's just a rough guideline, but all the marketing/advertising/distribution/etc is commonly estimated as being about as much as the cost of the movie itself. Thus, twice the production cost to break even.

Von Ether

Legend
/stares at you in horror
However that is the correct reaction to someone running Castle Falkenstein with 3E lol.

And I did it only with the Player's Handbook. Part of the secret is that it was 3.0, when things were a little more loosey-goosey. (Blame 3.5 on the organized play of the time.)

... and let's just say -- just like Mutants and Masterminds did years later -- players can be surprising open to "optional rules" to the point the amount of optional rules used pretty much makes up a new game.

I guess most player don't think about the Ship of Theseus much.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads