D&D Movie/TV There's A New Trailer For D&D: Honor Among Thieves

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

A brand new trailer for the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie has just been released! The movie comes out March 31st. This trailer very much highlights the tongue-in-cheek nature of the movie and is filled with one-liners. The trailer also gives us a good luck at the Red Wizards of Thay, along with the mimic, the owlbear, and other iconic D&D monsters.

The point is that regardless of whether or not you think anything needs to be explained, they are explicitly explaining the movie in the trailers.
I'm confused... you said that they needed to explain things to non-D&D players in the statement I quoted. I said I don't agree that, that the movie does not need to explain D&D stuff to be good and clear. Now you are saying the trailers are explaining...

Maybe you can clarify what is and is not being explained and where and if it does or does not need explaining?

If it's a bad 80s sword and sorcery fantasy flick, chances are I'll watch it. But there are some really, really bottom-of-the-barrel ones out there that I've even tapped out on.

Rewatching Dick Tracy, it really tries hard to feel like a Tim Burton movie. Still, I think it's a better movie than it's given credit for.

As for as RPG-based adaptations that could follow in the wake of the D&D movie, we already know that there's Cavill's 40K series, though whether that's a result of Cavill suddenly being free, other companies wanting to get in on RPG properties, or something else, who knows.

Yeah but it's not a trend with a good reputation... considering how many TERRIBLE b-movies got made in the wake of stuff like Star Wars, Conan, Alien... there's such a thing as TOO similar.

Or remember that time in the 90s where, after the success of Tim Burton's Batman, studios decided to adapt characters like Dick Tracy, the Shadow, or the Phantom and how well that went?

Maybe you can understand my apprehension? OH well, it's not like it's an issue until we get troubling news like 'Netflix developing Pathfinder series' or something, it's all hypothetical.

I still think game systems with a different feel might be more likely pick for movie studios... can't wait for the BESM movie :p

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Watching the trailer of Guardians of the Galaxy without spending the time to read any of the text because most people watching a trailer will not bother to do that — show, don't tell:
What do they all do? Do any of them have powers? Do we see any scenes that reveal any major plot points of the actual movie? Who is the main enemy? What even is the plot of the movie?

Guardians of the Galaxy's trailer is what the D&D Movie trailers should look like. Shows some cool images, establish it is a funny movie, doesn't actually give real information about anything because they know they're about to get knock it out of the park reviews from movie critics.
I disagree. I don’t need trailers to obfuscate what the movie is about.

I also don’t care about spoilers, so maybe those are connected.

That's IMO not a good criterial for making rulings at a table. The better way is to reward creativity without painting yourself into a corner.
Thinks this could be a whole topic....

It's a Red Flag for me when they just make a random fantasy movie, and then just put D&D in the title.

But I feel the movie will just be a copy of a Marvel Movie, to try and get that sweet Marvel Money. I can see the clueless out of touch types, they glance at a Marvel movie and see it's just some random cgi spam action and one liners. But then they are shocked when it makes a ton of money. And they want a ton of money. So then they just say "make us a Guardians of the Fantasy World movie to make us a lot of money"......

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Hey ok. Quantumania, Scream 6, Indy 5, GOTG 3, The Marvels, Dungeons & Dragons, Legally Blond 3.

Just watched The Lighthouse (2019) and The Barbarian (2022) this week. Can’t recommend enough. Avoid spoilers!
I liked The Lighthouse. Interesting movie. LOVE one monologue from that movie. Hark!

Jharet

Explorer
Looks like an updated version of the 2000 D&D movie. Going in expecting Game of Thrones would probably set one up for disappointment, but expecting the movie from 2000 with improved FX is just about right.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looks like an updated version of the 2000 D&D movie. Going in expecting Game of Thrones would probably set one up for disappointment, but expecting the movie from 2000 with improved FX is just about right.
I feel like it's better than the 2000 movie, and it also is aiming for anything like game of thrones. People have compared it to guardians of the galaxy which, to me, sounds about right from what I've seen.

Remove ads

Remove ads