There's An Official Monty Python RPG Coming

Next month, Monty Python’s Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme (yes, that's it's real name) will appear on Kickstarter. In the game, players will carry out quests in medieval Britain using a new rules-lite game system. Characters incude knights, enchanters, royalty, monks, peasants, and more, each of which has 5 of 20 possible traits such as science, glibness, sorcery, and so on...

Next month, Monty Python’s Cocurricular Mediaeval Reenactment Programme (yes, that's it's real name) will appear on Kickstarter. In the game, players will carry out quests in medieval Britain using a new rules-lite game system.

python_rpg.jpg

Characters incude knights, enchanters, royalty, monks, peasants, and more, each of which has 5 of 20 possible traits such as science, glibness, sorcery, and so on. The system has players rolling a die, the size of which is determined by the 'silliness' of the trait's level.

In place of a GM, the game features the Head of Light Entertainment.

You can read more about it over on Dicebreaker.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've had decent success with Discworld, and I hope the same methods will work with this. The way I found to do it was:
  • Have an actual story line, something that somebody wants to accomplish, which isn't too silly.
  • Allow the players to create characters that have silly aspects, but are semi-functional people. The pair of Llamedos druids based on Father Ted and Father Dougal were fine examples, but they needed some slightly more grounded companions.
  • Run it reasonably straight-faced, allowing the insanity to wax and wane.
Yeah, the Discworld novels are all fundamentally sound fantasy novels that happen to have been written by a brilliant satirist. (As opposed to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy novels, which I adore, which are brilliant comedies written by someone who happens to love science fiction.)

You could scrape off all the comedy and the Discworld novels would still work. That definitely seems like the right way to do a comedy adventure.

The comedy adventures in Dragon magazine were always painfully silly and unless you vibed with the often elementary school-level comedy, didn't really work well in play, although they did always mean lovely art by the late great Jim Holloway

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
There is a Hitchhikers Guide interactive fiction / text adventure game by Infocom, written by Adams. It def has the feeling of a killer GM running it, and a verrry dry sense of humour. Among other things, at on point the game straight out lies about things until you nag it enough to tell the truth. Also, you can die to the bulldozer in the first chapter of the book, in which case the game just keep on describing what happens afterwards, responding to your input with "you are dead, stay out of this" or somesuch.

Adams also wrote "Buerocracy" for Infocom, in which your blood pressure is a stat...
Infocom had some fun games back in the day. I always wondered if anyone had converted the spells from the Enchanter series to D&D or something similar.

Remove ads

Remove ads