These Are DDB's Most Viewed D&D Adventures

D&D Beyond has published some stats on which Dungeons & Dragons adventures are the most viewed since the launch of the platform. These aren't sales, just how often adventures are viewed on D&D Beyond. Time is a factor - the longer something has been out, the higher its view count is likely to be. Dragon Heist ties with Curse of Strahd, leading the pack, with Rise of Tiamat bringing up the rear.

Out of curiosity, I also added my own column showing their rating on EN World.

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.29.31.png

They also looked at the most viewed individual adventure chapters.

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.32.19.png

D

DQDesign

I strongly hope that data make clear to WoTC that a lot of people like non-FR adventures and that more diversity in campaign setting is needed: I believe that, removing the 'newness' effect of Waterdeep:DH, Curse of Strahd would be solidly first for viewings (and its 90% score here on ENWorld is astounding).
But I also believe that those data are not so important for them in developing their publishing schedule.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I wonder to what extent Curse of Strahd's success is related to its being an update of the original I6 Ravenloft for AD&D First Edition, a famous adventure with updates and conversions for almost every edition of D&D since it was published?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that it's done so well simply due to fame (though that might be a factor) but because, despite the mechanical changes between the editions, the overall structure and format of the adventure has gotten a lot more mileage throughout the years, essentially "stress-testing" the foundation of the adventure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I strongly hope that data make clear to WoTC that a lot of people like non-FR adventures and that more diversity in campaign setting is needed: I believe that, removing the 'newness' effect of Waterdeep:DH, Curse of Strahd would be solidly first for viewings (and its 90% score here on ENWorld is astounding).

DotMM is equally new (within a couple of weeks) and is third from bottom. I'm not sure how much effect the newness is having.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder to what extent Curse of Strahd's success is related to its being an update of the original I6 Ravenloft for AD&D First Edition, a famous adventure with updates and conversions for almost every edition of D&D since it was published?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that it's done so well simply due to fame (though that might be a factor) but because, despite the mechanical changes between the editions, the overall structure and format of the adventure has gotten a lot more mileage throughout the years, essentially "stress-testing" the foundation of the adventure.

I personally think it's the best adventure WotC has put out.

murquhart72

Explorer
So what I'm seeing is people like sandbox adventures that feature unconventional settings, and when it comes to those adventures, they like the setting information more than the adventure itself. Hmmm... Maybe more setting material that isn't cookie cutter Forgotten Realms would sell?

D

DQDesign

So what I'm seeing is people like sandbox adventures that feature unconventional settings, and when it comes to those adventures, they like the setting information more than the adventure itself. Hmmm... Maybe more setting material that isn't cookie cutter Forgotten Realms would sell?

I think the maybe is not a maybe, it is more or less matter of fact.

What I can't understand, as usual, is why it is not so clear for WotC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Waterdeep, Chult, and Phandelin are all pretty conventional, and in the Forgotten Realms to boot?

Chult may be FR, but I wouldn't consider it conventional. It's not pseudo-medieval Europe. Waterdeep has more of a renaissance feel to it as well.

It's pretty clear that generic dungeon bashing without a strong arc-plot is unpopular at any rate (TFTYP, DOTMM).

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases