TSR Thieves Percentages: Expert VS Rules Cyclopedia

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
DM: You have 65% of jumping over the chasm or fall to your death.

Players: 'No problemo, as long as I have 50% I'm good. I don't need the extra 15%.'

DM: (perplexed) 'So be it. You have 50% then.'

As his character is falling to his death the player admits he would have like to have the extra 15%.

Numbers matter in a RPG. 15% is the equivalent of a +3 weapon. It matters a lot in the context of the adventure.
Yep, like I said: it seems like a lot on paper, but didn't seem like that much of a difference in practice.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
Frank Mentzer, the TSR designer who created the 36 level thief table, admitted that he dropped the ball on that one. He even proposed a new thief.

Quote: "All the character chasses represented in BECM (compiled in the R.C.) are based on a 36-level system. Overall their character and usage parallel the Original, Holmes, and Moldvay/ Cook editions. The Thief, however, suffers badly from the spread."

You can find the pdf at this link. ExTSR is Mentzer.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yeah I mean, that's equal to +3 on a d20. Nobody is going to say "oh well, I don't really need a +3 bonus."

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Almost as useless as the percentile skill increases you get in Palladium.

We pretty much always ignored the percentile thief skills when playing B/X or BECMI. Since we wanted the thief to actually be good at thief things.

cimbrog

Explorer
I just gave Thieves extra skills from the optional Cyclopedia skill system to match their class skills. Used a weird-ass proto-target number system against it. (Basically, using your thief skill was a contested roll. Against inanimate objects like locks the ability was based on how hard it was. So an "easy" lock would have an ability of 5 - whomever rolled the highest under their ability score won.)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
+3 on a d20 that you roll every round, with consequences that can result in the death of a character? Pretty big deal.
+3 on a d20 that you roll every few rounds, with consequences that might result in a wasted action? Not a big deal.
+3 on a d20 that you roll 0-3 times per game, with the only consequence being "you smash the lock instead"? Hardly noticeable. It seems like a lot on paper, but doesn't feel like much of a difference in practice. Which is what I said.

I might have observed more of a difference if that 15% adjustment was being applied to the thief's save throws or attack rolls, but it wasn't. That 15% adjustment was applied to Open Locks. How many locked doors did your thief encounter in a typical gaming session? It must have been dozens, if you're comparing it to attack rolls and save throws. And the consequences must have been dire indeed, if you're comparing that Open Locks check to survival rates of medical treatment.

But at my table, it was a roll that I needed to make maybe once or twice every few gaming sessions, and it was rarely a big deal if I failed. So it was, and remains, a tempest in a teapot for me.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I felt they were horribly disappointing.

Coming from B/X I expected thieves to be getting new cooler thief abilities at the 15+ range. Something like how AD&D thieves got to use scrolls at level 10 and form thieves guilds, but I was hoping for more James Bond supercompetent spy type abilities or other cool new things for them to do.

Thieves were terrible in B/X, ranging into ok for their thief skills in the X range. Seeing thieves never really come into their own with cool new abilities and regress to lower competency at higher levels when I got the BECMI companion set was severely disappointing.

Conceptually I prefer stuff like Necrotic Gnome's B/X Rogue with gaining feat type abilities as a model for thief skills.

Voadam

Legend
Yep, like I said: it seems like a lot on paper, but didn't seem like that much of a difference in practice.
I kind of agree. They were terrible in B/X and making decently mid level BECMI thieves as incompetent at their skills as lower level B/X thieves is not that big of an impact to how you play a D&D thief at the table. B/X thieves were still fairly vulnerable people with no magic abilities. You had to play them focusing on attitude and style and roleplay concept as they trailed on power in most every dimension.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
2e's Dragon Kings solves the epic level Thief problem rather nicely by adding 6 new Thieving Abilities you can learn: Detect Magic, Detect Illusion, Forge Document, Bribe Official, Dig Tunnel, and Escape Bonds.

Remove ads