TSR Thieves Percentages: Expert VS Rules Cyclopedia

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I prefer the B/X level range to the BECMI/RC level range, and thus prefer the B/X thief charts. Frank Mentzer has made a few statements in the past about not being overly fond of the Thief class. So it doesn’t surprise me that he didn’t think too deeply about how the change in power curve would affect them.

For what it’s worth, here’s my three bits of advice to DMs on helping the thief in old school (ish) D&D:

1. Don’t create consequences for failing their thief skill rolls that aren’t explicitly in the rules. Failing to find or disarm a trap doesn’t automatically set it off. Failing to move silently, hide in shadows or pick pockets doesn’t automatically mean the thief is detected. And so on. I’ve seen too many DMs punish the thieves for attempting their abilities, when the thief’s missed attempt at a skill should generally no more disastrous than a fighter missing on a to hit roll.

2. Keep in mind that the thief skill percentages are for time sensitive attempts in dungeon conditions. In better conditions, the thief will have a better chance to perform the task. For example, if the party can get the locked treasure chest to a well-lit inn and the thief can work on the lock at his leisure, he’ll eventually get it opened.

3. In general, don’t let other members of the party automatically do what you require the thief to roll for. For example, I’ve seen too many times when after a failed open locks attempt, the DM just lets the fighter bash it open with his mace. What’s the point of that?

Voadam

Legend
3. In general, don’t let other members of the party automatically do what you require the thief to roll for. For example, I’ve seen too many times when after a failed open locks attempt, the DM just lets the fighter bash it open with his mace. What’s the point of that?
Possible points of allowing that:

1) there is more than one way to skin a cat.

2) success does not hinge on one percentile roll.

3) smashing a chest open can have consequences on the glass vials inside and on making noise that attracts wandering monsters that picking a lock does not.

4) there is a knock spell.

5) success does not hinge on having any one specific class in the party.

6) the existence of thief abilities does not stop others from doing reasonable things.

Remove ads