D&D 5E Thieves Tools: Disarm magic traps?

AsmodeusDM

First Post
In 3.x/PF it's explicitly stated that you can use Disable Device to disarm magical traps. What about in 5e? I never really saw how little files, saws, and hooks were "disabling" a set of magical wards... but was wondering what 5e says on the matter?

It's in the DMG, in the traps section. From what I recall from the preview, magical traps require an Intelligence (Arcana) check. Neither thieves tools nor Dexterity will help you in any way.

In the DMG, they talk about magic traps being disarmed using Intelligence (Arcana) checks, not using thieves tools. This can be done by any character.

Edit: Dang, I've never been that ninja'd before.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
But tools can be used with any ability score (varies on the task) So why can't the thieve's tools be used on magical traps and still roll Int (Arcana).

I guess that could lead to double dipping, i.e. prof with tools and prof with arcana...but it even gives an example of a magical trap, (Fire Breathing Statue) that is disabled somewhat mechanically.

mips42

Adventurer
I don't have access to a DMG but would rule that Thieves tools could help with any mechanical aspects of the trap but magical aspects would have to be dealt with separately (IE: Intelligence / arcana checks, dispel magic, etc.)

nomotog

Explorer
But tools can be used with any ability score (varies on the task) So why can't the thieve's tools be used on magical traps and still roll Int (Arcana).

I guess that could lead to double dipping, i.e. prof with tools and prof with arcana...but it even gives an example of a magical trap, (Fire Breathing Statue) that is disabled somewhat mechanically.

Double dipping isn't a big deal at all. It's the same bonus no matter how many times you are proficient in the task. A DM can judge the task anyway they want, but I think you want to let thieves tools count on basically all traps because that will conform to the players expectations.

For my games, I implemented a crazy system where you need both skills to disarm a spell trap. In a effort to make spell traps different, I said you couldn't disarm a spell trap but you could change it into a different kind of spell by carving new runes to it. You need to know the spell you want to change it to (int check, or just look it up off a scroll) then you need to gently carve in the extra runes without accidentally tripping the spell (dex check)

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
It seems silly to me that in a world at the magic level of the forgotten realms rogues can't train in arcana unless magic traps don't require it to bypass.

That said, the thieves tools in 5e seem a little sparse. Wasn't there at least one edition in which they included a bottled firefly among other things?

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
After sleeping on it, I'm thinking a person prof with thieve's tools would use Int(Arcana) to disable magical parts, and could use either the arcana prof or the tool prof mod (could be higher due to expertise).

Smarter rogues would do better on magical traps, makes sense.

Remove ads