D&D General Things to Find in a Large River?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says. By large river think Nile as I'm running a not Egypt game.

Along with RL stuff and fantasy versions of them I have thought up.

Dinosaurs
Bronze Dragon
Stuff in Tome of Beasts.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
River obstacles: waterfalls, whirlpools, rocky rapids. Rapids might not work for Nile type river though.

Druids. Sorry, they’re on my mind of late.

Bandits with poisoned missles and rafts. Or, river pirates with better boats and a skilled crew.

River dolphins.

People in the Amazon region regard river dolphins as a bit like faeries. They can turn into people and they seduce humans and take them away to live in their cities beneath the water.

The Old Crow

Explorer
A sunken boat

A burning barge beset by bandits

A giant herd of hippos that refuses to move

fishing nets (with various things caught in them, or set by various things that might be trying to catch you)

A river "god" that claims to own the place and demands tribute

A sarcophagus washed from somewhere upriver, floating along like a canoe, that may contain a very damp and irate mummy.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Elder crocodile god

Nobles traveling on a barge, forcing everyone to yeild right-of-way

Wedding procession, either on the river, or on the bank. Funeral/holy day, etc... can easily replace.

Cataracts with fey/lesser deity guardians - the Nile had several sets of cataracts that divided Egypt into upper, middle, and lower sections, so they were very important.

Depending on your geography, where a lesser river joins your "nile" you could have a fortress where passers-by must present documentation/pay bribes/sneak past

Remove ads