• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Things You Think Would Improve the Game That We WON'T See

Horwath

Legend
Just do the bonus directly. Also get rid of negatives.

So point buy would be...
+0: 0 points
+1: 2 points
+2: 4 points
+3: 7 points

Standard array is
+3,+3, +2, +1, +1, 0

Rolling is 3d6 straight, take the middle die and divide by 2 (round up).

Your background gives you +1 to a stat, and your class gives +1. Max +4.

Or something like that.
I like it, but why complicate it with background and class giving +1?
no need for extra step
just increase the pool

I.E:

-3: -4 pts
-2: -2 pts
-1: -1 pt
+0: 0 pts
+1: 1 pt
+2: 2 pts
+3: 4 pts
+4: 7 pts

pool 16 pts

make then array of +4, +3, +2, +2, +1, +0

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
nothing about a monorail is simple, that is why we literally had vehicles with two rows of wheels for thousands of years before it

If you want to see a better example, look at battle tank design from where it started (and some of the weird designs it spawned early on) to where it is now
And now you see the problem with why the efforts to claim that just as not simple ttrpg subsystems can be made "simple" just by taking a machete to important parts of their function

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
you will never get an objective measure for this, so either you go by your personal taste, consequences (sales) be damned, or you go by the consensus as the best measure you have
I go by personal taste, and the tastes of those I play with.

Micah Sweet

If you are running a business and want to feed your family you want to sell as many units as you can. In order to sell as many units as you can; you need to please the most people. This is just basic economics.
No, if you are running a business and want to feed your family you want to sell enough units to run your business and feed your family. As many as you can is unnecessary, and detrimental if you compromise on other areas (like quality) to do it.

Remathilis

Legend
No, if you are running a business and want to feed your family you want to sell enough units to run your business and feed your family. As many as you can is unnecessary, and detrimental if you compromise on other areas (like quality) to do it.
I want everything you say here to be true, but you need an economic system other than one we have for it to be true.

Remathilis

Legend
Show me how the economic system, and not simple greed, we have insists upon maximizing profits in every (legal) way?
Because if you're not doing it but your competition is, you're not going to make it. You will eventually be strangled out of the market or absorbed by the larger entity. There's this Hasbro game called Monopoly that is all about this.

Greed is baked into the system. It can't be removed, only controlled for. But this is getting too close to the politics rule so I'll let it go.

Micah Sweet

Because if you're not doing it but your competition is, you're not going to make it. You will eventually be strangled out of the market or absorbed by the larger entity. There's this Hasbro game called Monopoly that is all about this.

Greed is baked into the system. It can't be removed, only controlled for. But this is getting too close to the politics rule so I'll let it go.
Then how do we have more than one company making similar things?

Remove ads