• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Things You Would Rather Do Than Have A PC Kender?

Over-reactions here.

Kender are fine as long as the kleptomania thing is worked into the background, and this is made clear to players of the Kender.

A better way of representing it is to simply give the Kender a racial ability (1/ long rest) of 'Kenders pouch' to represent their 'handling' of things:

Once per long rest, you may reach into your pouch as an action and roll on the following table to see what you find. The item can be given away to others, but it mysteriously dissapears at the end of your next long rest (likely finding its way back into your pouch by 'accident').

A chart like this:

A Kender's Pouch - Dragonlance Nexus

But with more useful items in there, and also an entry of 'pick one small object owned by an ally and not currently held. If that ally consents to you having that item in your Kender pouch, they gain inspiration, are aware you have the item, and you must return that item to that ally on request. This item does not disappear at the start of your next long rest'

That way instead of the PC wandering around trying to steal naughty word all the time, it's simply worked into the race via the above ability, and when it does affect other PC's its a buy in from that player and comes with a benefit for that player.

Id also give them a 1/ Short rest 'Taunt' ability.

GreyLord

Legend
I don't mind Kender PC's...

What I DO MIND are Players who want to play Kender as annoying characters that hurt other players and do nothing to benefit the rest of the party.

I don't mind a Kender PC that contributes to the party and is fun to play around as a character to the game. They may take a random item (which is almost always discovered by the other PC's) but normally it is something the Kender is interested in and that could be anything from a stick to a piece of string or something else.

I DO mind a Kender PC that ALWAYS targets the expensive magic items or the other players wealth as their sole things that they are going to take...and that use the excuse that they are a Kender to try to get away with it.

I don't mind a Kender PC that is curious and has no sense of fear, bravely facing whatever the party faces and when investigating something, accepts the risk they could die and bravely sticks around to face whatever they stumble across.

I DO MIND a Player that uses the Kender as an excuse to explore and then runs away (they say bravely, but we all know it's in fear because they don't want their PC to die...so basically it's a Kender that says they are brave but is afraid of anything and everything) and lets the party get swamped by attack after attack (which could eventually kill the party as they try to rest, but the Kender just keeps on going out to "explore" and gets afraid and brings the monsters coming back to them every time) because of the Kender's fear.

I don't MIND Kender PC's...but I DO mind disruptive players who try to use Kender as an excuse of why we should accept their disruptive tactics.

Remove ads