D&D 5E Things You Would Rather Do Than Have A PC Kender?

Characters I would rather have in the party than a kender:
  • evil PC (potentially less disruptive, definitely less annoying);
  • one-note “comic relief” PC (with his own catchphrase!) (equally annoying, less disruptive)
  • the bard with a lute that spends all his time hitting on NPCs (equally as cliche and hacky, equally as annoying and disruptive, but if they only hit on NPCs, at least you get a break once you leave the town);
  • a character cursed that during every long rest they must make a Wis save. If they fail, they are compelled to steal an item belonging to another character (equally as disruptive and annoying, but at least it is somewhat original and offers an adventure hook).

Arvok

Explorer
Have a PC kenku (either played by me or someone else in the group) who can only speak dialogue by repeating phrases she would have likely heard. I thought this sounded like a horrible idea until someone in a group I DM did it and was fantastic at it.

My only experience with kenders was as NPCs the DM used to 'undo' mistakes he made and/or frustrate the party. I've had paladins who would have committed genocide after a few encounters with kenders.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Have a PC kenku (either played by me or someone else in the group) who can only speak dialogue by repeating phrases she would have likely heard. I thought this sounded like a horrible idea until someone in a group I DM did it and was fantastic at it.
Did you ever see Dreamscarred Press's April Augmented 2017 for Pathfinder 1E? It had several variant subraces for, among others, the tengu. You could play a dodo tengu, emu tengu, shoebill tengu, or even a potoo tengu!

Remove ads