D&D 3E/3.5 Think I Have Finally Figured Out How To Fix 3.5 (it took a decade)

To reward non- skill focused classes, remove the double cost for cross class skills. Classes with a small amount of skills can’t afford cross class skills and can never branch out.

Limit cross-class skills to half the max but don’t make it cost twice as much. You might actually have fighters taking skills like diplomacy.

G

Guest 6801328

I thought I was going to open this thread and the OP was just going to say, "I switched to 5e."

Zardnaar

Legend
Is the moon druid really broken? I thought that the consensus was that it was really strong only for a few levels then not that special.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. You are saying that the 3e wild shape is OP, not 5e?

Yes 3E was is OP. 5E is mostly fine.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think that it would be easier, and perhaps more productive, to add 3.5 features to 5e than the other way around, but perhaps I am wrong?

Zardnaar

Legend
Is the moon druid really broken? I thought that the consensus was that it was really strong only for a few levels then not that special.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. You are saying that the 3e wild shape is OP, not 5e?

I think that it would be easier, and perhaps more productive, to add 3.5 features to 5e than the other way around, but perhaps I am wrong?

Microfeats and way weapons and armor work is a bit of a. I tried tweaking 3E back in the day it's alot if work.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You have a lot of good stuff there, but I'd like to add my two biggest gripes about 3.x that you haven't covered:

1. Having to pre-plan a character. The idea of taking this class to make something a class skill (to raise your max ranks) to then fulfill this prerequisite before a feat level so you could take feat X, so you could get into this PrC - that was just crazy. And really made a huge system mastery (plus pay (or pirate) to win).

5e solves this by having straight classed characters on-line power-wise as multiclassed. I find that to be a massive move in the right direction.

2. DM prep takes so long because DMs use the same high-depth rules as players.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
To reward non- skill focused classes, remove the double cost for cross class skills. Classes with a small amount of skills can’t afford cross class skills and can never branch out.

Limit cross-class skills to half the max but don’t make it cost twice as much. You might actually have fighters taking skills like diplomacy.

My solution is:
  • In short, to grow the base skills of all classes but rogue, ranger and bard by two.
  • Also to move and add some extra skills to round up different scores:
    for example move Intimidate, Craft (sculpture), craft (Blacksmithing), and craft(Masonry) to Strength. Move a few performance skills to Constitution and Dexterity, some craft skills to Dexterity, and so on.
  • Give bonus skill points based upon the primary score for classes with little skills (Strength for fighters, charisma for Paladins, Constitution for barbarians, wisdom for druids, Charisma for sorcerer) those skill points can be used for skills based upon its attribute. This could be a feature and not a central part of the system.
  • And of course remove the double cost for crossclass.
  • In fact maybe remove class skills altogether and give everybody 4+int skill points, and then extra skills based on their primary.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend

My solution is:
  • In short, to grow the base skills of all classes but rogue, ranger and bard by two.
  • Also to move and add some extra skills to round up different scores:
    for example move Intimidate, Craft (sculpture), craft (Blacksmithing), and craft(Masonry) to Strength. Move a few performance skills to Constitution and Dexterity, some craft skills to Dexterity, and so on.
  • Give bonus skill points based upon the primary score for classes with little skills (Strength for fighters, charisma for Paladins, Constitution for barbarians, wisdom for druids, Charisma for sorcerer) those skill points can be used for skills based upon its attribute.
  • Probably cut down on skill points for Rogues and Bards.
  • And of course remove the double cost for crossclass. In fact maybe remove class skills.

I would probably just steal 5Es system except the numbers might scale differently.

Remove ads