thoughts on Apocalypse World?

I have not played, but did read the book because it's so influential. I found the style of writing to be off-putting in a try-hard edgy sort of way. For example

WHY TO PLAY

One: Because the characters are naughty word hot.

Two: Because hot as they are, the characters are best and hottest when you put them together. Lovers, rivals, friends, enemies, blood and sex—that’s the good naughty word.

Like, what is that? Is that part of the post-apocalyptic genre? I don't get it.

I've also run a lot of Apocalypse World and found the sex moves only end up in play if the players want to make that happen. It's not been a big deal in any of my games, and it also gives the post Apocalypse a flavour which wouldn't be there without them.

The main driver in Apocalypse World is scarcity. Everything is scarce - food, shelter, clothing, clean water, heat, refridgeration, companionship, electricity, weapons, ammunition, safety, duct tape, cigarettes, safety pins - whatever it is the player characters need, turns out not to be much of that about. 'Great story' comes from their struggle to build something they believe in against the relentlessness of that scarcity.

I have not played, but did read the book because it's so influential. I found the style of writing to be off-putting in a try-hard edgy sort of way. For example

Like, what is that? Is that part of the post-apocalyptic genre? I don't get it.
Try-hard edgy is exactly right. AW is just horribly, horribly written, and I keep hoping some other PbtA game will become the default first read for someone interested in what's probably the biggest shift in game design in decades. Maybe the Avatar RPG will fill that role once it's out? Because AW is just about the worst brand ambassador you could ask for.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Apocalypse World is at it's heart a game about survivors. It's about playing people like Max. People who have lived hard lives and become somewhat broken in the process. Prone to violence, suspicious of others, and likely to see relationships as transactional. It then asks us to see if they can come together, work together, and do more than just survive.

It's Mad Max, especially Fury Road. It also has notes of Last of Us, Deadwood and Sons of Anarchy to me.

It's one of my favorite games, but it's definitely not for everyone. Like Dogs in the Vineyard it's a game meant for looking at violence and human cruelty critically. It's not everyone's bag, but I think it's pretty cool.

hey I played Vampire in the 90s; I know try-hard edgy when I see it 😋
Mostly when people say they don't like the tone of Apocalypse World, what they actually mean is they don't like the candour with which the game prevents them from railroading the PCs through their pre-made plot.

In this regard it couldn't be more different from Vampire. That was fake edgy. AW definitely isn't.

niklinna

satisfied?
Mostly when people say they don't like the tone of Apocalypse World, what they actually mean is they don't like the candour with which the game prevents them from railroading the PCs through their pre-made plot.

In this regard it couldn't be more different from Vampire. That was fake edgy. AW definitely isn't.
Well, the game as such isn't fake try-hard edgy, but the prose style, yeah, it's really working that angle hard.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I’ve only ever played two sessions of Apocalypse World, but I liked it quite a bit. It was a big part of me moving away from only playing traditional games. I’ve since played several games that are direct descendants of Apocalypse World.

It’s a foundational book for the hobby, I’d say, and I think anyone who’s interested in RPGs should grab a copy and at least read it.

It’s unapologetically R-rated. And yes, at times the tone can be a little over the top…but so what? I understand that may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but that doesn’t mean it’s poorly written. The writing evokes the feel that the game is going for.

And aside from those moments of tonal indulgence by the Bakers, you also get some very clearly described processes. It also discusses RPGing in an interesting way, and offers specific principles to promote the kind of play the game is designed to deliver.

I think “seminal” is likely the most accurate word to describe it.

Remove ads