D&D 5E Thoughts on D&D Next playtest adventure

zoroaster100

First Post
I took my first quick look over the Blingdenstone adventure and really liked it. I have many reservations about the D&D Next rules system proposed in the test packet, but I wanted to express my praise for the playtest adventure's design in terms of providing a LOT of opportunities for roleplaying with a LOT of DM support to help get the roleplaying encounters sparked and to support the roleplaying encounters and storylines.

If D&D Next provides this quality of adventures in the future, I may consider running a 5E game even if the rules aren't my ideal set of rules (I prefer 4E to what I've seen so far).

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I've only read the guide to Blingdenstone and the first adventure, but I already love the adventure. It takes great pains not to railroad the PCs into a particular course of action. When it mentioned that the PCs could decide to destroy the Boon, and the consequences thereof, I was thrilled. It's all too rare to see an adventure consider the PCs taking the less-than-good yet pragmatic path.

Agreed, this was a really well-written adventure.

I was especially impressed with the merchant adventure, which was almost entirely roleplaying pillar, yet chock-full of opportunities and challenges. And there's lots of exploration opportunities too.

Also notice the paucity of magical loot, which I consider quite a good thing!

One question, isn't defeating Ogremoch's Bane worth any experience?

EDIT: Can anyone who's run it give me an idea of just how much more lethal the adventure is with, er, you-know-who, added?

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I wouldn't use you-know-who (A.K.A Voldmorte :p) as is with a small party but for five PCs or more I think that it won't change much, maybe make things more challenging.

The most important thing will be hinting to the player that YKH is out there.

One thing I intend to do with my players on the trade mission is first thing upon eraival they will see a bloody brawl in the trade compound and it's consequences, other wise I'll have a TPK in the most peacefull part of the advanture. :)

Warder

I wouldn't use you-know-who (A.K.A Voldmorte :p) as is with a small party but for five PCs or more I think that it won't change much, maybe make things more challenging.

Thanks for the advice. Since I'll probably have at most two players and a DMPC in the party, I'll pass.

One thing I intend to do with my players on the trade mission is first thing upon eraival they will see a bloody brawl in the trade compound and it's consequences, other wise I'll have a TPK in the most peacefull part of the advanture. :)

You can also have Fendrick warn them about fighting, in addition to the other covenants. In fact, I'm kind of surprised he doesn't.

Still wondering about experience for Ogremoch's Bane?

EDIT: Oh, and if your players have any experience of D&D, seeing the Hooded One and the Worthful should convince them that fighting would be a Very Bad Idea. :) I love how they don't even bother giving stats for them... Why bother, at this level?

Last edited:

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure that Fendrick does supposed to tell them that, but I know my players ;)

And I agree, I also got a kick from the fact that they didn't gave them any states I think that that chapter is the most colorfull of the bunch, should be great.

The entire advanture is written like the writers said "let's write an advanture about the story of the PC saving Blingdenstone" and not a bunch of encounters strung together.

Warder

Agamon

Adventurer
I find it odd that they release an update to the rules (sorcerer and warlock) and a new adventure, and don't email about the updates. If I didn't follow the news from GenCon, I'd have no idea that these exist.

kerleth

Explorer
I'm happily amazed at the quality of the adventure (just for a playtest!) after a read through and can't wait to run it. It has all sorts of options and quirky little things the players actions and ideas can result in, as well as specific sections that say "The players might get other ideas here. We've described the motivations of those involved. Improv Man!" If they make a robust and customizable core (like they are attempting) with high quality adventures (like 3rd's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and the playtest adventure) and setting add-on modules ( not just random splat books, or if they are their only HIGH quality), this could be the holy grail of DND in my opinion.

Remove ads