• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Thoughts On How To Get a New Race Over

Felicia was mine as well (well, after Jenny from Bucky O'Hare), but I'm of the opinion that if an animal-person were put into the PHB today, kitsune would edge out any race of humanoid cats. The "gaining power through earning more tails" idea seems pretty widespread these days, and dovetails into not only the high fantasy aspect of D&D, but also the progressive gain in power via leveling up.
And Anime is mainstream, as is Korean entertainment culture across a swathe of mediums, meaning the myth itself is slowly being engendered into the global media culture.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
The current King of my Goliath Kingdom is Macho King Randal Savagestorm III.

Let's just say he's over like rover with any player I introduced him to. No one trusts Bulk Bogan because he has lust in his eyes and his black heart for the queen.

Make your Goliaths have Wrestler personalities. Works wonders. They are already big and muscular.
I love this so much. I just now decided I will also have a Goliath Kingdom in my world.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I love this so much. I just now decided I will also have a Goliath Kingdom in my world.
Remember.

They don't vote or pass down power via blood.

Elections in the Goliath Kingdom are decided by wrestling matches.

Goliath Political parties are wrestling factions.

GWO

1716378641472.png

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The current King of my Goliath Kingdom is Macho King Randal Savagestorm III.

Let's just say he's over like rover with any player I introduced him to. No one trusts Bulk Bogan because he has lust in his eyes and his black heart for the queen.

Make your Goliaths have Wrestler personalities. Works wonders. They are already big and muscular.
And that works very well with having them take levels in bard.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I'm surprised Goblins, or to a lesser extent Kobolds haven't gotten the PHB treatment. It seems to be a universal experience that parties will adopt an NPC goblin, and I've played in tons of games the featured Goblin PCs.

At heart everyone just wants to be a funny lil guy.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I was disapointed that we didn't get something more serpentine or humanoid´yuan-ti or snakefolk race for psionics, something akin to the Ophiduan from Dreamscarred Press.
would take some work to make them solid but better than the old batch.
I didn't like them because we didn't get the Elan, Maenads, Dromites, Xephs or even Synad from 3.5e as races and instead got crystal people. Yes I know that Elan was some sort of paragon path in 4e, and would definitely be a Lineage like Dhampir or Reborn in 5e. That Maenad, Xephs and Synad are already very Human-like. Except for the rage-thing the Maenad has very little to do with the ones in Greek mythology. Xephs probably aren't too different from Githzerai all things considered. The three-in-one mind Synad might be an evolved form of the 1e monster the Tirapheg, they might be more suitable as some subclass or background. And the Dromites are some weird Bug-Halfling people.
several are just mutant humans which works against them rather than for them, teiflings work of being part fiend the human is an undercurrent.
I have seen something like a synad done far better

dromites just look uncool.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think Aasimar has the best chance with the upcoming 2024 release. The thing that's held it back is uncertainty over version, since it was in the DMG and then in an expansion book as something else.

I didn't like them because we didn't get the Elan, Maenads, Dromites, Xephs or even Synad from 3.5e as races and instead got crystal people. Yes I know that Elan was some sort of paragon path in 4e, and would definitely be a Lineage like Dhampir or Reborn in 5e. That Maenad, Xephs and Synad are already very Human-like. Except for the rage-thing the Maenad has very little to do with the ones in Greek mythology. Xephs probably aren't too different from Githzerai all things considered. The three-in-one mind Synad might be an evolved form of the 1e monster the Tirapheg, they might be more suitable as some subclass or background. And the Dromites are some weird Bug-Halfling people.

Maenads were D&D attempt to create Vulcans
And Anime is mainstream, as is Korean entertainment culture across a swathe of mediums, meaning the myth itself is slowly being engendered into the global media culture.

Neko, catgirls, are pretty popular in Asia as well, so Kitsune would be a major challenge to it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Neko, catgirls, are pretty popular in Asia as well, so Kitsune would be a major challenge to it.
I think the "progression of tails" thing would give them an edge. Like, someone would say "remember that campaign we played in back in college? My kitsune got seven tails before it ended, which was pretty epic."

We DO have the tabaxi, which I've seen tweaked into catgirls and catboys.

Same with plasmoids and slime girls/boys.

The closest we have to foxes are the arcanaloth, though....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads