• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Thoughts On How To Get a New Race Over

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think Aasimar has the best chance with the upcoming 2024 release. The thing that's held it back is uncertainty over version, since it was in the DMG and then in an expansion book as something else.
Unfortunately for them... they got hamstrung by 4E a bit when WotC made Devas in the second 4E PHB instead of them. Had Aasimar been in the PHB II instead of Devas, they'd be further ahead in the game to really break out in the 5E24 book.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with using a spiritual successor in the place of an older name and mechanics. They're technically different, but they fill pretty much the same niche and are otherwise really close. It makes sense to me.

Every new edition brings changes, and we all adapt. I personally don't think its a big deal...

Yeah, but they weren't said to be the same in the PHB II I don't believe. I saw that decision for FR the same way they told us to use Goliaths as Half-Giants in Dark Sun and Dragonborn as Draconians in Dragonlance.

Its different, in DS they weren't saying Goliaths WERE Darksun Half Giants, they were just a useful set of mechnicals to use to replicate half giants.

The FRCG straight up said Devas was the Mulan word for Aasimar (or maybe it was the other way around, I forget), but they made it clear this was a statement in the lore, not just use this race as a game mechanics substitute for another race, Aasimar Incarnated Devas were equated to each other in the lore and that was backed up by the Aasimar/Incarnated Deva cleric of Mask in the novel Godborn.

Argyle King

Legend
Unfortunately for them... they got hamstrung by 4E a bit when WotC made Devas in the second 4E PHB instead of them. Had Aasimar been in the PHB II instead of Devas, they'd be further ahead in the game to really break out in the 5E24 book.

FWIW, I liked the general concept of 4E Divas.

I hope that concept makes it into a future campaign setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads