D&D 5E Thoughts on playing Elf in Out of the Abyss [SPOILERS]

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorry about the vague thread title.

The real title is "Ten reasons my Elf PC isn't murdered yet" ;)

That is, the module doesn't adress the fact that Drow usually kill surface elves on sight, rather than bothering to take them prisoners or as slaves. I can't very well rule out elves as a racial choice, or I'll ruin the surprise.

And no, I don't want any "let's not argue about who enslaves who" and handwave away millenia of intense racial hatred.

So... what do you say?

Let me start you off:

1) "I had time to cut off the tips of my ears, and have kept a low profile ever since"

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
2) "I am from a powerful noble family and worth much more alive. Plus I have these crazy good dance moves for those Drow Matriarchs."

Agamon

Adventurer
I can't very well rule out elves as a racial choice, or I'll ruin the surprise.

The surprise? The game starts with the PCs as prisoners of drow. If you don't tell them that, it's less surprise and more of a "gotcha".

Besides, how does the elf player come up with these reasons if he doesn't know?

I'd tell the players how the game begins and let them come up with a reason if they want to play an elf.

Remathilis

Legend
Our group is screwed; we're importing our 3rd level PCs and among our group is a wood elf ranger, a gold elf rogue and a renegade drow paladin of Lathander. (We also have a gold dwarf cleric of Moradin, a half-orc barbarian, and a human diviner, I don't wager any of them are going to fair that well either).

Corpsetaker

First Post
Our group is screwed; we're importing our 3rd level PCs and among our group is a wood elf ranger, a gold elf rogue and a renegade drow paladin of Lathander. (We also have a gold dwarf cleric of Moradin, a half-orc barbarian, and a human diviner, I don't wager any of them are going to fair that well either).

This is something I couldn't ignore if I was DMing. The drow would just slaughter all of you and take anything of value. I never handwave things like this because my group would become disinterested in the campaign.

Remathilis

Legend
This is something I couldn't ignore if I was DMing. The drow would just slaughter all of you and take anything of value. I never handwave things like this because my group would become disinterested in the campaign.

Just as a thought, what races (from either the PH or EE) WOULDN'T the drow slaughter on sight?

Arial Black

Adventurer
Oh, the drow have plans for them...

...best hope you can escape before those plans are *ahem* executed...

Have the drow taunt the captive PCs, without going into specifics.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Why kill on sight when the elf is already helpless. Better to kill in the sight of many and make it a superbowl party!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases