Thoughts on watching X-Files Season One in three nights

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Okay, so we borrowed the DVD set from a friend of ours and Mrs. Barsoom and I spent the last three nights in a sort of mad frenzy, helpless to stop ourselves, watching Mulder and Scully relentlessly until we couldn't keep our eyes open. I mean, that's like 8 episodes a night. We were watching X-Files from about 8:00 PM until 2:30 AM -- and then I was getting up at 8:00 AM to go to work.

Not good for the ol' brainpan.

Another salient data point -- we don't have TV. We stopped paying for cable two years ago and the reception on any broadcast is so bad we don't bother.

Another salient point -- we were hardcore X-Files junkies for the first four or five seasons. Taping every episode and watching them over and over again, all that good stuff.

But we haven't watched any in years.

So it was kind of strange. Observations:

Gillian Anderson is a tremendous actor. She can make almost any scene watchable. The scripts and other actors do defeat her on occasion, but honestly, she's amazing. It's interesting to compare some scenes that have equally silly dialog and if she's in it, the scene's okay, and if she's not, bleah.

David Duchovny is really really good at some things. Deadpan wisecracks. Serious concentration. Utter conviction. When Mulder gets righteous it's magic. He doesn't always pull off the more intense stuff -- sometimes, yay, sometimes, nay.

There's sure a lot of filler in some of them episodes.

Gillian Anderson rocks.

The "X-Files Thing" got invented over the course of the season. The early episodes are very different from the later ones -- part of that is probably because the show was doing well and had more money to spend, but you really notice by the time you get to the last episodes that you're watching "The X-Files" as opposed to just any old TV show -- which some of the early episodes seem like.

Stay far, far away from the children in Chris Carter's brain. They are evil and want your soul.

Gillian Anderson sure can act.

The mythology is impressively complex even in the early stages -- I think a d20 Modern X-Files sourcebook would be an AWESOME product. When in the very last episode Mulder walks into that room full of clones or whatever they are, I thought to myself, "I want to run this campaign."

Given how silly some of the stories are, they do a good job of scaring you.

No commercials is good.

It's possible I have a bit of a thing for Gillian Anderson. Red-heads. Not my fault.

Twenty-odd episodes in three nights. My brain hurts.

Anyone else ever done anything like this?

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Pretty much all of Buffy and the X-Files. I once watched all of X-Files: Season 5 in 2 days. My eyes almost fell out of my head. 12 episodes in a day (9 hours) means one of two things: 1) I really love the show; or 2) I have no life. I think it's 1 and that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

DanMcS

Explorer
My girlfriend just got Angel season one from the library on DVD. I got her hooked on the current season, now I'm taking her into the backstory. Soon, she will be one of us.

But we only have them for a couple days, so we're going to watch a lot of exploding vampires and brutally killed demons in the next couple days.

I have also read the first four Harry Potter books in the last week, and am reading the 5th one now, for the first time.

Angel marathon and Harry Potter on the brain. I am going to have some wierd-ass dreams this weekend.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I've done that with Buffy seasons 1 & 2, Angel Season 1, and Babylon 5 seasons 1 & 2. I tend to wait until a 4-day weekend, because even with a 5-day rental, it's just too tough to get through an entire season of 22-23 episodes in five nights.

I just got a surround sound system, so I'm gonna be DVD guy for the foreseeable future... too bad the rental place by me doesn't have Firefly on DVD.

MEG Hal

First Post
Morpheus said:
Pretty much all of Buffy and the X-Files. I once watched all of X-Files: Season 5 in 2 days. My eyes almost fell out of my head. 12 episodes in a day (9 hours) means one of two things: 1) I really love the show; or 2) I have no life. I think it's 1 and that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
*cough*2*cough*

danzig138

Explorer
Not with the X-Files. . .

barsoomcore said:
Gillian Anderson is a tremendous actor.
She truly is. I miss my weekly dose of Scully. I need for that woman to get back on regular TV.
As for doing anything similiar, when I got B5 S1, I watched it all in one day. When I got B5 S2, I watched it all in one day. When I got B5 S3, I watched it all in one day. I plan on doing the same with S4 and S5. Then, once I have all of them, I plan on kicking my family out of the house for a week and watching all five seasons straight through, with maybe a one hour nap or so between seasons. :eek:

Dirigible

Explorer
Gillian Anderson is a tremendous actor.

Gillian Anderson rocks.

Gillian Anderson sure can act.

It's possible I have a bit of a thing for Gillian Anderson. Red-heads. Not my fault

You forgot to mention how tremendously great an actor she is and how much she rocks. Also, that she is the second most beautiful woman on the face of the entire Earth, baring those parts of it currently submerged by Divine Wrath.

Last edited:

I did it with the Soprano's. Wifey and I watched the first season over a weekend, and then the second season over the next weekend. We are from the midwest but somehow certain Soprano'isms kept cropping up in our speech. Strange.

On Gillian Anderson-Agree with all the above posters except: She is the sexiest woman on the planet. Maybe that makes me strange but...heh I can deal with that.

Thullgrim

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson Gillian Anderson

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases