D&D 5E Thread closed, please delete

I'd be interested in seeing how well these rules work in countering the issue.
The potential problem that I see is for Clerics, Druids, Bards etc - classes that rely on spell slots to heal. The higher spell slots available do not compensate for the increased incoming damage, leading to having to burn relatively more of the classes' capability just to sustain the rest of the party rather on more fun stuff.
(Did you have a rule about being able to spend hit dice when you had a healing spell cast on you based on the level on the spell slot? If you're using that houserule as well, that might go a fair way to countering this issue.)
I wouldn't reduce cantrip damage however. - Outside of Warlocks, caster's at-will attacks aren't going to threaten martials'.

Well, I strongly dislike taking away all the lower level spell slots from casters, as the continued relevance of many low level spells is something I like about 5e. But if it suits your goals, it suits your goals.

However, if you are going to take away people's lower level spell slots then you should drop the one spell swap-out per level-up limitation on memorized casters. You should perhaps also lower the cost of Wizards copying spells of the levels that will face semi-retirement since they are obviously of less long term value.

Or just do a campaign without any full casters, rather than worry about balancing a whole system of how to handicap them. I suspect any player who doesn't anticipate this being the permenent rules of all their future D&D games would just look at this scheme and decide to put off their next caster character for some other campaign.
I'm not actually seeing much of a drop in caster power compared to a more standard D&D game.

Remember they aren't taking away the ability to cast low-level spells. - Casters still have those available and even if they can't be upcast to match the slot, they can still be cast using the higher-level slot anyway.

Remember they aren't taking away the ability to cast low-level spells. - Casters still have those available and even if they can't be upcast to match the slot, they can still be cast using the higher-level slot anyway.

Sure. Then they have no slots for the higher level stuff. There is no way you slice it where overall number of slots is not a key aspect of a caster's power, unless the adventuring day consists of three combat rounds and nothing else.

Zardnaar

Legend
To many rules.

Remove the short rest mechanic, make everything long rest.

Triple the short rest abilities. Let rogues steal a nice magic weapon.

Throw the encounter rules out the window.

Done.

Sure. Then they have no slots for the higher level stuff. There is no way you slice it where overall number of slots is not a key aspect of a caster's power, unless the adventuring day consists of three combat rounds and nothing else.
Remember the context for these changes is a massively shortened adventuring day. I think a caster with these houserules in that situation won't be much worse off if at all than a normal caster in a normal adventuring day.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have removed the red text from the OP so people don’t mistake it for moderator action. Please refrain from posting “Thread Closed” in red text. Thanks!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Instead, multiple people hijacked the post to talk about rest structure, one with repeated messages even after being told it was not part of this discussion.
If it helps, I'd say don't take it personally. Rest structure is kind of a hot-button issue on this board.

Well, it's not really closed... the OP just deleted the original post so now no one who shows up knows what exactly everyone is arguing about. I mean, people can still make posts here if they want... there's just nothing remaining to post about. ;)

I thought that's what the threads that were on page 50+ were for?

This is unfair shortcutting! The first 100 posts in a new thread are prime real estate!

Remove ads