Three Cheers For Content Moderation!!!

damiller

Adventurer
I've never spent much time on the "free speech" on social media issue (i include forums in that group). My thoughts have basically been this: To my understanding - In america, generally, free speech is not protected on private property. The social media companies are, as far as I know not public property (ie owned by the government). So I don't consider my first amendment rights as being infringed upon when content moderation occurs.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
“Three Cheers For Content Moderation!!!”

Given all the hype, I expected more. Since I can’t give it one and a half stars, I’ll give it one star instead. Also, I didn’t order the content moderation as I was full by that point.
-Snarf, elite Yelp Reviewer.

aco175

Legend
It is my understanding that these large internet companies were given protections by the government to act as the "town square" for free speech. This helps protect them from slander lawsuits because a poster said something.

I like the moderation on this site and feel the mods are doing a good job. I may not agree with some of their posts, but respect it.

Snarf Zagyg

L]
It is my understanding that these large internet companies were given protections by the government to act as the "town square" for free speech. This helps protect them from slander lawsuits because a poster said something.

That's not quite it . A (very) brief explainer of Section 230 of the CDA (what you are referring to).

In essence, this section was crafted as a response to a court case (Stratton), which held that Prodigy (think of it as a ... forum, like this one) could be held liable for moderating its message boards.

This is a weird distinction, but traditionally publishers are held to be liable for defamatory statements- not just the makers of the statements. In book publishing, for example, the author isn't the only one liable for the defamatory statement- the publisher of the book is, as well. The Stratton case held that, by engaging in moderation (by removing offensive posts) Prodigy was acting like a publisher. Weirdly, if Prodigy had engaged in no moderation at all, then they would not be liable.

And that's the distinction of Section 230. It's the opposite of the "Town Square."* Section 230 was a rebuke to the idea that internet platform must be foreclosed from the possibility of moderation; instead, it allowed "providers of an interactive computer service" (websites, etc.) to moderate their content without fear of becoming liable as a publisher- the goal was to allow the platforms to develop their own, innovative methods of policing content as needed (while competition would allow the continued unfettered free speech).

For the most part, it appears to have been successful. In my time, I would say that speech is more robust than it was before- there is a greater diversity of opinions. Different platforms have different moderation policies- but very few have none at all (signal to noise issues and illegal content tends to shut those down quickly). In the end, it's always the same.

People seek out the platforms that they like, and then complain about the moderation that makes the platforms that they like successful. Plus ca change.

*In fairness, it creates a Town Square in aggregate. The mistake people always make is demanding that every single forum operate as their personal Town Square.

Here's an article about how difficult but important it is to have content moderation. Since talking about how moderation is done would count as talking about how these forums should be run. Food for thought.

Those who do not learn internet history are doomed to repeat it. Anyone else remember the discussions of moderated vs unmoderated Usenet channels? If you don't, blame Google and their terrible handling of the Deja News archive. Because all the discussions are still there, but we've lost the access to read them.

Snarf Zagyg

Those who do not learn internet history are doomed to repeat it. Anyone else remember the discussions of moderated vs unmoderated Usenet channels? If you don't, blame Google and their terrible handling of the Deja News archive. Because all the discussions are still there, but we've lost the access to read them.

Repeatedly learned.

This is a great summary (posted when a certain someone took over a certain social media website) of the repetitive cycle that all people understand when it comes to content moderation.

I've never spent much time on the "free speech" on social media issue (i include forums in that group). My thoughts have basically been this: To my understanding - In america, generally, free speech is not protected on private property. The social media companies are, as far as I know not public property (ie owned by the government). So I don't consider my first amendment rights as being infringed upon when content moderation occurs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don’t think we need a debate on the politics of free speech here, folks. There are plenty of places on the internet where you can do that. Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases