• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Three Cheers for FRPGames!

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
I bought 2 boxes of Giants of Legend minis from FRPGames and the haul was terrific. Huge: Fiendish T-Rex (pretty cool) and Huge Gold Dragon (sweet! :cool: ) Rare: Otyugh (got one already-great trade bait) and a Frost Giant (sweet again!) They either took care of me or I got really lucky. I don't know which...

Last edited:

eris404

Explorer
Morpheus said:
I bought 2 boxes of Giants of Legend minis from FRPGames and the haul was terrific. Huge: Fiendish T-Rex (pretty cool) and Huge Gold Dragon (sweet! :cool: ) Rare: Otyugh (got one already-great trade bait) and a Frost Giant (sweet again!) They either took care of me or I got really lucky. I son't know which...

I've been meaning to post about the WotC minis and your post reminded me. I love metal minis and love painting them, but they can be time-consuming and a little expensive. I am curious about the quality of the plastic minis - how does the molding look, are they painted nicely, etc.? Have you (or anyone else) needed to touch up or tried customizing the paint job?

DM_Jeff

Explorer
eris404 said:
I am curious about the quality of the plastic minis - how does the molding look, are they painted nicely, etc.? Have you (or anyone else) needed to touch up or tried customizing the paint job?

My wife used to dedicate 2-3 hours or more every weekend painting our lead. Since D&D plastic minis came out, that dropped to about 30 minutes, if that. She loves the free time. :) Out of 60-72 minis each set, more than 3/4 in our opinion are very well done and good to look at. Giants of legend really pushes that, it their best work yet. We haven't touched up any of ours.

Also, I second the three cheers for FRP Games. My non-local friendly local game store they are, reliable and great to deal with!

-DM Jeff

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
eris404 said:
I've been meaning to post about the WotC minis and your post reminded me. I love metal minis and love painting them, but they can be time-consuming and a little expensive. I am curious about the quality of the plastic minis - how does the molding look, are they painted nicely, etc.? Have you (or anyone else) needed to touch up or tried customizing the paint job?

Monsters for the most part, look incredible. The Behir, Otyugh, Grick and Huge Gold Dragon are probably some of the best figs for any of the sets. The humans and humanoids are still hit-or-miss. Lareth the Beautiful: Terrific! City Guard: Terrible! (No eyes) Lizardfolk Rogue: Great! Githyanki Renegade: Eewww! The quality is up across the board, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few stinkers. My advice: Buy a box or two and see if you like them. If you do, buy some more and then trade for the ones you really want.

eris404

Explorer
Morpheus said:
Monsters for the most part, look incredible. The Behir, Otyugh, Grick and Huge Gold Dragon are probably some of the best figs for any of the sets. The humans and humanoids are still hit-or-miss. Lareth the Beautiful: Terrific! City Guard: Terrible! (No eyes) Lizardfolk Rogue: Great! Githyanki Renegade: Eewww! The quality is up across the board, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few stinkers. My advice: Buy a box or two and see if you like them. If you do, buy some more and then trade for the ones you really want.

What I really want these minis for are the monsters anyway - I have a ton of character minis already painted and most of the players in my group either buy/paint their own minis for their characters. We just never seem to get around to buying that cool (insert favorite monster here) figure, you know? ;) I may just have to buy a box and see what happens. BTW, do you know of any sites that sell singles, in case I really get the bug for them?

knight_isa

First Post
eris404 said:
BTW, do you know of any sites that sell singles, in case I really get the bug for them?

The aforementioned FRP Games does, as does Popular Collections. I've bought from both, and would recommend both.

Edit: Popular Collections is a little easier to use if you buy multiples of a single mini, due to the way the shopping carts work, and tends to have more in stock at any given time. Who has better prices depends on the mix of minis you want and the day you look--the prices seem to fluctuate a bit.

Last edited:

starkad

First Post
I just tried to use Popular Collections... But they don't list if it's in stock on the page you click to order from. So you have to click the item, go to another screen, where it vaguely tells you it's not in stock, then you have to go back to add it.. It'd be nice if they had a function to tell you if it's in stock before you expend the extra clicks to add it to the cart. :)

Nothing huge, just a minor gripe. I like being able to order multiples, but that part was a little annoying.

On a side note... I bought a few GOL packs... My story goes like this:

Buy first pack, get huge red dragon. Friends get envious.
Sell red dragon for 40 dollars to some guy at a local game store.
Buy 2 more packs. Score Dire wolf, Gold AND Red dragons.
Sell Gold dragon for 35 dollars.
Buy 2 more packs. Score Mordenkainen, Lich Necromancer, Gold dragon and Glabrezu.
Get greedy and buy a few more packs. Got another fire genasi, a minotaur skeleton, 2 nightstalker, and 2 formorian. I shouldnt have gotten greedy. :)

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
FRPGames for all of your GoL singles needs. I bought 3 Dire Rats, A Warmage and a Bronze Wyrmling along with the 2 boxes. I paid for fast shipping and got it in 2 days. The difference for the faster shipping wasn't that much (I think $15.95 vs. $20.95) on the order (I bought more than just the figs). FRPGames has never done me wrong...

Remove ads