Three new Star Wars movies

pukunui

Legend
Not an easy balancing act.
I, for one, am willing to give Taika the chance.

A film connecting to Book of Boba Fett doesn't seem like the exciting premise Lucasfilm thinks it is.
Given how messy that show was, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie only follows on from the Luke and Ahsoka parts rather than the Boba Fett parts. De-aged Luke was pretty decent really. I wouldn't mind seeing him up on the big screen doing cool stuff like single-handedly slicing through a legion of Dark Troopers!

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given how messy that show was, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie only follows on from the Luke and Ahsoka parts rather than the Boba Fett parts.
There's going to be at least one scene where a trooper pulls someone piloting a landspeeder over, gives them a speeding ticket, and tells them to contact Boba Fett's driving academy.

De-aged Luke was pretty decent really. I wouldn't mind seeing him up on the big screen doing cool stuff like single-handedly slicing through a legion of Dark Troopers!
Given that we have a few years on this, I'm sure the tech will make at least one big leap forward by then as well.

Vael

Legend
The “New Jedi Order” period will take us past The Rise of Skywalker, starting with a film helmed by Ms. Marvel director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, exactly as reported for past few months. Nothing was said about the writing talent, but we’re guessing those reports were true as well, meaning Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson worked on a draft that’s now being rewritten by Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders). And yes, Daisy Ridley is back as Rey Skywalker in a story set 15 years after The Rise of Skywalker, which definitely opens the door for other key characters from the sequels making a return.

I like Daisy Ridley. I like Rey. I am happy she is getting the chance to bring the character back in new circumstances.

....that said, The Rise of Skywalker and everything around it (especially the discourse and retreat from TLJ) remains such a sore point with me that I'm not sure I want to revisit it anytime soon.

Same, but I assume that's why there's a 15 year jump to give time for a soft reboot.

Same, but I assume that's why there's a 15 year jump to give time for a soft reboot.
Yeah I think that's the reason. We'll probably only hear about broadly positively-regarded stuff from the ST (and all three films had at least some) and largely the setting will be new.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah I think that's the reason. We'll probably only hear about broadly positively-regarded stuff from the ST (and all three films had at least some) and largely the setting will be new.
I still think the period immediately before The Force Awakens is an incredibly rich era -- how did we get here, why did they call themselves the First Order, who are these Jedi-friendly people running around? -- as is the period immediately after Snoke's death -- how did the First Order stay together, did they think they had wiped out the Resistance, did Kylo Ren ever attempt to seize full control of the order and if not, why not?

But I certainly think the "somehow, Palpatine returned" stink will stop them from touching any of that for years, just as we saw very little touching the prequel era for a long time.

But I certainly think the "somehow, Palpatine returned" stink will stop them from touching any of that for years, just as we saw very little touching the prequel era for a long time.
I suspect Filoni being largely in charge of the direction of SW may be a bigger influence.

People were predicting no films with Rey in for 10+ years just earlier this year, and now they're explicitly planning one.

There's also the issue that to explore the specific eras - i.e. the end of the New Republic (20+ years from where The Mandalorian is) and the post-Snoke power vacuum, you describe, you'd need a largely new cast of characters.

Din, Bo-Katan, etc. will be kind of too old (not to act, but to be leads). Ahsoka is probably too dead (given she's a Force voice/ghost by TRoS, though maybe that's some Timey-Wimey World-Between-Worlds stuff). The OT characters are obviously out, as are PT characters.

There are really only a couple of "well-situated" characters for that period - and the best-situated is Grogu. We don't know how fast Yodas (soz) grow, but it seems like unless there's some sort of catalyst to Yoda-teenage-ness (like eating a specific kind of frog or something, I could believe it), the answer seems to be "extremely slowly", given it's been about 30 years since Order 66 in The Mandalorian. So 20+ years from where The Mandalorian is now Yoda might finally be full-size (or near) and speaking and so on.

Remove ads