Thri-Kreen

Turtlejay

First Post
I was pretty fascinated by these in 3.5 (because they were better than good). I think the odds are not great that these will ever be a PC race, but if you *did* want to make them a 4e PC race, what would they get?

+2 Dex
+2 Wis

+2 to Acrobatics
+2 to something else!

Some other racial stuff, they don't sleep (like warforged), they have extra arms but what the hell do you do with those and not unbalance them. They like jumping.

If they can make freaking Minotaurs balanced, do you think it would be so hard for these fellas? I'd like to play me one.

Jay

ppaladin123

Adventurer
You are in luck because thr-keen are a core part of the just announced Dark Sun campaign setting so you will almost definitely get official stats for them next summer. :)

eriktheguy

First Post
I remember those guys, yeah they were pretty cool. If you want to make one now before the official race comes out, I would suggest +2 acrobatics, +2 athletics (for their multiple limbs, and climbing/jumping finesse).
Your suggested ability score mods are good.
Their encounter power could reflect their venomous bite, or their psionic abilities. The bite uses Str, Dex or Con to attack, and Con for damage, the psionic power uses Int, Wis or Cha for attack, and Wis for damage.
As for the four arms, I would suggest that only the top two of them are suitable for wielding weapons or shields. You could allow the 2 lower hands to wield any offhand weapons, but not larger weapons or shields. In this way the Thri-keen would be limited to either a single 2-handed weapon, or a 1-handed weapon and a shield, but they could still have a dagger, psionic implement or wand ready at the same time. This seems to fit the flavor of the race.
Based on their backgrounds there are plenty of choices for little buffs and passive abilities they could have. Bonus to endurance checks against heat and dehydration, feats associated with their racial weapons, and maybe a +2 proficiency bonus with improvised weapons.

weem

First Post
I played one a few times in DS back in the day - much fun and I'm looking forward to seeing them next year officially for 4e. I'm also stoked for the half-giant as they will fit into my current campaign juust right ;)

Remove ads