Time Limit as a Stress Inducer: Thoughts?

Nickolaidas

Explorer
Most of you here have probably played the Witcher 3. One of the things I loved was when there were decisions Geralt had to take, with a time limit to choose. [KILL THE BANDIT / SPARE HIM]

So I am thinking of making some stuff like that. Like, let's assume that a powerful shady NPC has his minions all around the PCs, but gives them a chance to serve him (and change factions) and become allies. If they reject, it's quite possible that the NPC will command his men to attack the PCs. So, in order to create tension, I am thinking of giving a time limit (raising my hand and then slowly lowering it until it touches the table which end the timer).

Do you think it's wrong to do this on tense situations? Is it unfair to not let the PCs take their sweet time and decide what to do in a crucial part of the campaign? Or - when done sparingly - is pure awesomesauce?

Thoughts?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I don't want stress like that when I'm playing a cooperative storytelling game.

You might find that it creates an antagonistic dynamic of DM vs players.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I do enjoy building time pressure (or time as a resource) into all of my adventure scenarios; however, that exists in the campaign world and acts as pressure on the PCs, not a limit on how long the players get to make decisions or respond to the DM. While we move very quickly in our games compared to others I've played in, I would not want to put a time limit on players making decisions in this fashion. Like rushing someone, it could lead to a negative emotional response which is best avoided in my view.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Our DM doesn't give us tons of time to make snap decisions. You have to declare your intentions (not normal, but we play that way) and then he moves on. If you aren't in the heat of the moment, take all the time you want.

Harzel

Adventurer
Depends pretty much entirely on your players. You could try it out in a relatively low-stakes situation to see how they react. Matt Mercer, the DM for Critical Role, uses real-time challenges to pretty good effect, but a) he keeps it to a rare occurrence, and b) IIRC it is always a 'challenge' situation*, not a make-a-decision situation. Also, he uses an hourglass, which seems to make a pretty good prop and is a clear signal to the players.

In any case, I think it will be more effective and palatable to the players if there is a rationale in the fiction for the time limit. Being trapped in a room with water/sand/gas pouring in, or 'you can hear the sound of the guards running down the hall toward you' are classics. In your example, I'd have the NPC explicitly give the PCs a limited time to make the decision, making it more part of the story and less an arbitrary gimmick.

Only other thought is that I would in general be cautious/skeptical about trying to 'port computer game mechanics into D&D.

* That is, even though there may be multiple solutions, the stakes/threat/objective are clear.

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, it totally depends on your players and how anxious they become under time pressure. I know some folks who would hate it and some who'd love it.

Oofta

Legend
Like others, it depends on the players. I might enjoy it now and then, my wife would hate it. So ask your players, and then ask again after you've done it a few times.

Satyrn

First Post
Count me in with the it depends on your players crowd.

I don't think I'd enjoy the hard time limit you propose with the dropping arm example, but I'd be cool with you just politely encouraging me and the other players to decide in relatively short order . . . so long as you're also cool if I wind up saying "hold on, I'm grabbing a beer first" because I actually need a beer.

Li Shenron

Legend
I've played in games where this idea was used, and as a player I didn't like it. The first time it seemed semi-cool, the second time it was already a trite annoyance.

But I think it's personal preference, maybe your players will find it exciting.

When a player hesitate, start to make narrative description of the situation.
Describe all the dilemma the pc is facing.
It help make the tension go down and make everybody laugh.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases