D&D General Times you misinterpreted a rule... But preferred the misinterpretation

Shiroiken

Legend
???

According to what?
PHB pg. 204:

Cube
You select the cube's point of origin, which lies anywhere on a face of the cube's effect. The cube's size is expressed as the length of each size. A cube's point of origin is not included in the cube's area of effect, unless you decide otherwise. (emphasis mine)

Since your space is the point of origin, it's not included. It's kinda backwards, since you're pointing it back on yourself, but technically correct.

Many years ago, back in 2e, I had a player who was playing his first cleric. He asked me how to turn undead. I explained the rules to him, he gave me a confused look, and asked "But how do I turn undead?"

We went back and forth like the old Abbott and Costello skit until finally it dawned on me that he thought the ability allowed him to turn into an undead. Which, to this day, I still think would be a cool alternative for evil clerics. Maybe I'll eventually get around to implementing it.
I was going to reference a situation like this. When I played D&D for the first time at age 11, I initially thought "Turn Undead" was just what your player above thought. Become a badass vampire and kick some butt. But alas. Didn't anyone else watch The Drak Pack as a kid?
1708656363744.png

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
PHB pg. 204:

Since your space is the point of origin, it's not included. It's kinda backwards, since you're pointing it back on yourself, but technically correct.
Yeah, not sure I'd interpret that to mean that - in fact, I know I wouldn't. But that's not what this thread is about - so I'll leave it at that.

Remove ads