D&D 5E Tired of doing WotC's job

Undrave

Legend
Another example: in bringing in a new player for today's game, his PC wanted to buy a cloak. a CLOAK, and it isn't listed. What is the cost and weight? I decided finally just to tell him to get a blanket and say that is his cloak. I mean, really, how hard would it have been to put in a table for purchasing common clothing items like cloaks, boots, and shoes. Yeah, I know, we can come up with our own if we want to, but damn it, should we really have to?

PHB page 150:

Clothes, common 5 sp, 3 lb
Clothes, costume 5 gp, 4 lb
Clothes, fine 15 gp, 6 lb
Clothes, traveler's 2 gp, 4 lb
Robes 1 gp, 4 lb

Also, on page 157, in the Trade Goods section you can find that 1 square yard of linen costs 5 gp and 1 square yard of silk costs 10 gp.

I know it's not specifically a cloak, but I think you can made do with this info.

ccs

41st lv DM
The gatekeeping is not appropriate. Do not presume to tell people what htey can and cannot play.
If you're getting bent out of shape over the lack of a listed price for cloaks (or other mundane items)....
If you're upset that DMs HAVE to decide various things.... Be it the price of a cloak or the exact details of Lycanthropy....

Then D&D - of any edition - isn't for you. Nor is pretty much any other RPG published in the last 45 years.
And you definitely should not be sitting in the Game Masters seat.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I thought this thread was going to be about buying a WotC adventure book and then having to effectively do the work of writing it to actually make it work for your group and being tired of that... or even feeling like you've had to write a bunch of your own races, classes, feats and such because WotC hasn't covered the particular bits you want yet.

I was not expecting the complaints that are actually present. But I'm not going to judge those complaints, just like I never judged anyone for saying "do I seriously have to buy each clothing article individually?" when the D&D books did have them listed out separately (but also still not nearly with enough variety to result in it seeming to matter what a player character was wearing beyond not being naked).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I've been running a new game online and its been ok. Today, one of the PCs failed to save against a wererat's bite and has lycanthropy. This was just as we ended the session. So, I took some time to research it and found very little information. Just that it is a curse and can be removed with remove curse. Some questions arose:
is it magical?
It’s a curse, so I can’t imagine it being anything other than magical.

can you detect it with*detect magic*?
By the way it’s written, sure. “ For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.” I’d say a lycanthrope counts as “a creature that bears magic.”

if so, why can't you use dispel magic?
Because Dispel Magic only works on spells.

is the target aware they are cursed?
I would think the whole transforming into a rat part would probably give it away.

Remove ads