D&D 5E Tired of doing WotC's job

Stormonu

Legend
Beyond lycanthropy, can you use Detect Magic to sense an animated skeleton? A doppleganger? A vampire? A summoned creature? A golem? A dragon? A polymorphed gold dragon disguising as a human? I'd probably allow it for the skeleton (if it had been animated by a spell), the golem, the summoned monster and the polymorphed dragon, but probably not for the others, unless they had active spells on them. Couldn't use a Detect Magic to root out a doppleganger, for example. But that isn't backed by anything other than gut feeling and a sense to preserve certain story tropes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Beyond lycanthropy, can you use Detect Magic to sense an animated skeleton? A doppleganger? A vampire? A summoned creature? A golem? A dragon? A polymorphed gold dragon disguising as a human? I'd probably allow it for the skeleton (if it had been animated by a spell), the golem, the summoned monster and the polymorphed dragon, but probably not for the others, unless they had active spells on them. Couldn't use a Detect Magic to root out a doppleganger, for example. But that isn't backed by anything other than gut feeling and a sense to preserve certain story tropes.
I might allow it to pull the summoned creature from that list, but that's it (assuming the dragon's polymorph to be an innate ability and assuming no active spells sitting on any of them).

I think I'd prefer the PHB to have prices for a cloak.

At least that way the player can just do their own maths and write it on their character sheet without wasting game time asking pointless questions.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
We like at least a vague nod to realism in our games, which in this case includes that if you want to have something like a bag of marbles on hand you need to have had enough forethought to pick it up ahead of time.

That, and the "just happen to have" idea completely dismisses the otherwise very realistic frustration of "oh, if only we had...", which forces players/PCs to either improvise a replacement or to abandon that idea for something else. (in last night's session, for example, the PCs needed to pry open a door and nobody had any suitable tools at all on hand; so they improvised with daggers, and a few bent-and-now-useless daggers later they got it open)
Once again....we assume everyone has things that every adventurer carries around. A few torches. Flint and tender, a bedroll, a few empty sacks, twine, etc...

Bag of marbles clearly sits outside that line, as well as spyglasses or blank bound books, or ship navigation tools.

I assume that extra torches, spare arrows, weapon oil, etc are picked up and replenished along the way.

Eis

Explorer
I mean, clothes have an entry in the phb though, it was linked in the first page of this thread

can you imagine two designers sitting across from each other at a desk..."dude, how much should I make a cloak?"

"I dunno man, like 5 sp?"

"what about a cape? wait, whats the difference between a cloak and a cape anyway?"

"fffffff, I don't know just make it the same price, we have to get this stuff done"

"ok, now on to coat, do you think I have to specify like a winter coat?"

I think I'd prefer the PHB to have prices for a cloak.

At least that way the player can just do their own maths and write it on their character sheet without wasting game time asking pointless questions.
If your character has traveller's clothes, then they have a cloak. Just as they have boots and a belt to hold up their pants. Listing each induvial item separately is a waste of time and space on a character sheet.

I get what the OP meant. 5ed is a rough gem by design. It is an uncut gem but a gem nonetheless. For many, it is the occasion to facet the gem/game to their taste. For some, the missing facets of the gem are irritating and become an obsession. The OP has his focus on the "missing" facets and it became hard for him to focus on anything else.

This is what I call a DM's overwork syndrome. Take time off from DMing. It has nothing to do with 5ed. You do not need 30+ pages of house rule. You need none. Give yourself some time off and when you get back to DMing. You'll see if it really is as you're thinking right now.

Remove ads