To All Who Still Want To Donate! (Please Read)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythago

Hero
2d6 said:
Looking at many of the posts last night, I don't consider my donation as charity, it's payment that has been long due.

Thanks, that's putting it much better than I did. It's not as though Morrus will be begging for stale crusts on the street if ENWorld shuts down, but he's provided a valuable free service that I've used for a long time.

Berandor, this isn't meant as a criticism, but I think one reason people may be grumpy about this is that many of us *do* give to charity (perhaps the ones on your list, even). Hell, some of us have been on the receiving end. :)

Many gaming organizations and groups have done benefits and fundraising events for worthy charities; I bet that after the dust settles and the Spending Season is over, we could organize ENWorldies similarly.

TiQuinn

Berandor said:
On my way home, I thought about it. I just hope I don't seem like more of a jacka$$ than usual.

If you haven't donated to ENWorld yet, but are planning to do so - please don't.

ENWorld doesn't need it anymore. With twelve frickin' thousand dollars, it's guaranteed to stay for at least the next year.

But there are others who need the money.
So, take your 10, 20, 35, whatever $ and head to
Amnesty International
Greenpeace
Red Cross
or any other deserving recipient.

Donate the money to starving childs. Head out and donate it to your local high school trying to get new books. Anything.

ENWorld made the cut.

Others are still trying.

Berandor

It's always sweeter when you can see the benefits. The folks donating money around here have found immeasurable value at ENWorld. At about $2000, we were looking at keeping the boards around for another month or two. At about $8000, Morrus was talking about server upgrades and other improvements that we would all reap the benefits of. At $12,000, maybe Morrus can also get a little bit of profit from all his hard work.

Personally, that makes me feel good. It makes me feel that this community isn't built upon the assumption that it's free. I do not want to take it for granted.

Also, I hate to say it, but donating money to some of the charities mentioned above does not provide that same feeling. I'd rather donate time, blood, work, etc. to them than money.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Berandor said:
... isn't really necessary any more.

That is, however, how things got to the unfortunate point yesterday where the drive became necessary.

With the boards as slow as they've been lately there is little doubt in my mind that there are much needed (and expensive) upgrades to be made and even the large sum collected in the last 24 hours will not last as long as some might suspect.

I think it is a bad idea to kill the momentum that will not only get EN World over the current hump but will also ensure that it will keep building and growing for the coming year(s).

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't given something to EN World to still do so (and to also support their own chosen personal charities as they see fit.)

Berandor said:
FYI: I donated the money to "Die Insel"

Anyone here have a Simpsons / Sideshow Bob flashback? (It's not "Die Bart Die", its German for "The Bart The")

As for the matter at hand... Perhaps (a simple suggestion, one that is good in intent but probably stupid or impracticle in practice) since there was so much money collected, a small portion of said money could be donated to a worth cause. To give to the community is great. To give AS a community might also be great?

AR

buzzard

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
As for the matter at hand... Perhaps (a simple suggestion, one that is good in intent but probably stupid or impracticle in practice) since there was so much money collected, a small portion of said money could be donated to a worth cause. To give to the community is great. To give AS a community might also be great?

AR

Absolutely not. No damn way. I would demand my money back before I would tolerate this. I gave my money so that EN World could stay in operation. I gave it ONLY for that purpose. If I see it diverted from that goal I will complain to high heaven and never give another penny (and I gave a few pennies above average).

buzzard

Tewligan

First Post
mythago said:
I think it's a mistake to put this as ENWorld vs. Starving Third-World Children.
Ah, but you forget one thing when you say that. It's a little known fact that the ENWorld server is a steam-powered behemoth whose boiler is kept blazing with starving third-world children.

buzzard

First Post
Tewligan said:
Ah, but you forget one thing when you say that. It's a little known fact that the ENWorld server is a steam-powered behemoth whose boiler is kept blazing with starving third-world children.

No wonder it's been running so slowly. Those starving kids probably don't have enough calories present to keep the fires going. We'll have to upgrade to fat dumb and happy Merkin kids. You just have to watch for the grease fires.

buzzard

Altamont Ravenard said:
No. Bad idea. BAD.

We avoid politics and religion on these boards because there are too many problems. It's the same thing with charities. I give to whom I want to give, and don't give to those I don't. Politics and religion come into play when I make these decisions, and they are mine and mine alone. I don't think that we, as a community, could ever come to agreement on where any money should go. Don't go there, it will just open up a big can of worms that we don't want to deal with. The money I gave was for ENWorlds continued support, and thats where it will stay.

Berandor

lunatic
Just one more before I return into anonymity and lurk-mode for at least half a year (until you've all forgotten this thread).

Henry and especially 2d6 ware right. I'm wrong. I'm keeping my posts, because I don't like after-editing (except for that "Don't Donate" that I therefore included twice now into other posts, because it just was terribly wrong :)).

It's not charity. En World gave me a place to read, laugh, cry when I needed one, and now it's time to give a little something back.

Please, understand where I was coming from, though. And understand that I can be a little hot-headed :)

Anyway, donated to ENWorld, as well - you re-convinced me (where I de-convinced me before!)!

And when can I get a CS account again for just ... 35$ ... oh, well. :)

Berandor
eats his foot, with a dressing of leg

MojoGM

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
Perhaps (a simple suggestion, one that is good in intent but probably stupid or impracticle in practice) since there was so much money collected, a small portion of said money could be donated to a worth cause. To give to the community is great. To give AS a community might also be great?AR

Such an idea would ONLY be appropriate if it were stated from the get-go, and not decided after the fact. It is unfair to ask for money for one purpose and then devote it to another.

Besides, giving to charity is a very personal thing. Different people have different ideas what are good/worthwhile causes. If future money-raising efforts include a provision for a certain percetage being given to a specific cause, then that may hurt donations from people who don't support such causes (I'd give money to a "Ban Michael Bolton Fund", but thats just me :) ).

This thread was started with the best of intentions, and that should be recognized, but the money collected is to save ENWORLD and to keep it running and improve it into the future.

And everyone should feel free to give to the charities of their choice at another time.

Now, I was only able to make a small donation, but I hopeto give more. A yearly pledge drive has been mentioned and I think it is a great idea. Morrus should not have to shoulder this on his own. He (and everyone who contributes to the running of this site) provide a highly valuable service, which some people have taken for granted (I know I did up until now).

I think things will be different from now on.

*edited to add a missing quotation mark...to be truly funny, a joke needs propper punctuation

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads