• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Con the Con-man

Axel

First Post
Alden chuckled along with Alex. "You must've thought that I'm as fresh as spring flowers! That tradition has been in place about 2 hours. Still, its a good 'un if you ask me."

"Besides which, how in the nine hells can you protect mankind with arms that compete with a 12 year old for size? Seriously, I think even my weedy guns have got a headstart on you," he added with a smile.

"If you'll excuse me, I have a suspicion that tonight will be the last in this oh so comforting dung heap for some time. I've err...a little business to take care of before we move out. Gotta see a man about a dog, y'see." Alden hoped desperately that he was being as transparent as he hoped. The stupider and less devious Alex thought he was, the easier his life would be.

With the oderous task of introducing Lord Muck to the dogs complete, Alden wandered off towards the irregular's camp.

Zerith

First Post
Alexander had thought that he had hidden his overly slim physique well under wraps; as soon as Alden turned about Alexander seized the opportunity to brifly glance at his left arm; he did not think it looked too thin; then again he did know just how many extra layers of clothing were filling out the girth of his over coat. The thickness of his clothed arms was not at all impressive, and while he did then ponder adding yet an other layer, doing so would not have only made his already heavy, wardrobe too hot even if it was made of very aired cloth, but also make the added bulk start to look fake, he would just have to accept that he was going to look scrawny no matter what. But he also doubted Alden knew just how thin his arms were; his comment was far too light hearted to have known that, all the same, he did not wish to relight the subject.

Not even a proper moment past since Alexander glanced at his arm he looked back to Alden and made comments “Perhaps as fresh but nearly as refreshing to smell.” He started with a grin. “As for protecting mankind, I can do more than just club things like a cave troll.” He added before continuing with a grin “Also, that is just the meaning of my name; as I said a moment ago, your name means old and wise, qualities you might or might not ever have.” He said smugly before finishing “But go ahead and do your task, just make sure you’re back here when the orders arrive; I won’t be making excuses for you if you’re late. Martomum made it clear you’re his subordinate and I can only hope you’re competent enough to return be morning.”
Alexander then turned about and started walking at a moderate pace towards the tree were the dwarf was resting beforehand; he figured the moderately trampled blades of grass smelt better than the rest of the camp.

[Sblock=OoC] a Narcissistic noble, oh no! it can’t be possible!!! o_O; [/Sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The next day dawns clear but cool, hinting at a warm spell to come. As Alex walks through the gnoll's sprawling camp he is joined by a quiet Alden. By the look of the man he might have had a rough night or maybe he looks like this every morning, only time would tell.

They end up at the default "command post" and sit under the tree to await their orders.

It isn't long before a messenger bringing an extra horse enters the area holding his nose. He quickly turns over a scroll case to Alex. The reins to the extra horse he gives to Alden and without a word turns to leave quickly.

[sblock=Orders]
Inside the case are two letters both address to Alex. One is signed by Lord Dellex the other by Fallon (but says it is in Martomum's name).

Good Morning Commander, I hope this finds you in great spirit for your first day. Your orders are to continue the search for the half-elf Tharivol. You may use whatever resources you deem necessary but you are not to use mine or Lord Bairan's name in any type of negotiations and/or pledge making. Also use the gnolls to scout out any Treylor that remain in hiding through out the area as you search. Please keep them out of any civilized areas as we don't wish an uprising of the common folk.

Once Tharivol is found bring him to me at once.

-Lord Dellex

Alexander - I am writing this on behalf of Martomum (mostly due to his poor penmanship). He wants you to know that the horse is for Alden and there should be a few potion vials for you both in it's saddlebags. He says if you are commanded by Dellex to keep searching for Tharivol that Wet-Nose and Poo-Breath are your best scouts use them wisely, and stay out of trouble.

-Signed for Martomum Stonebreaker

P.S. - I personally don't know what Dellex is up to but a word of advice. His good deeds while usually helpful are almost always self serving. You would be very wise to keep your wits about you and your eyes open to what he is about.

-Fallon
[/sblock]

With your orders received the two make ready to visit the village of Rem.

[sblock=OOC] Will need to know how many gnolls you wish to take along to Rem outside of Wet-Nose and Poo-Breath.

Note: The more you take the greater chances of them running into locals as you near Rem.

In the saddlebags are four small vials each marked - light healing (potion cure light 1d8+1)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Standing, holding a horse's reins with a throbbing head in the morning sunlight is a perfect way to start a day Alden thought. The only thing I'm looking forward too more is the fact I'm probably supposed to sit on the damn thing and bounce up and down for most of the day making my balls and butt feel like my head does... Last time I drink all night with those regulars from Siere...

Putting on a cheery voice entirely at odds with his thoughts, Alden piped "So boss, what's the deal? Guess I'm supposed to sit astride this animal in a suitably dramatic pose and survey the countryside like some rich kid with a wooden horse playing at exploring?"

Rummaging through the saddle bags, Alden quietly notes the presence of the vials, supressing a whimper at the thought he might actually have to fight something. "No food in here. We can't be going far eh?"

[sblock=ooc]
Yay, healing potions. I was wondering how we were going to survive the second encounter. 1 crossbow bolt each and it's game over man...
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
While not as miserable as he had feared, the night spent sleeping in the Gnoll’s camp was not nearly as pleasant as those he had endured in the irregular’s camp. Still, better than expected was still better than expected and for that he was grateful.
After awakening, early, he promptly promptly donned his overcoat, which he had taken off before retiring for the night briskly. While he did not do so in a rush or sloppily, he did not waste time in doing so either; he always felt exposed without both of his coats on.

After he had his overcoat in place and fastened, he then, and much more casually, donned his boots, over belt and then his cloaked mantle. Again properly dressed, he stowed his bedroll onto his horse and then set about to do what little else he had to do before the messenger arrived.
After the messenger and Alden arrived, Alexander took the two messages and read them while the messenger left and Alden prattled on. Alexander was pleased with his decision to prod Wet-Nose’s ego the night before; as he saw it, it was best if the tracker was eager for the hunt.

He then turned towards Alden; who did not seem as light footed as before, he also seemed like he was trying to act as before despite his present condition. Having not know Alden beforehand Alexander would have gave it no thought, but the man wanted Alexander to pickup his drinking tab the night before; and if not for the stench of the camp he thought he might have smelt the stench of Alcohol blowing from Alden’s mouth.
“Nay, you should ride the animal like a man and not draw attention to us; we do not unwanted attention while we are traveling in the company of Gnolls; my orders even state to avoid letting the Gnolls be seen. So ride normally, I don’t care if you enjoy it or if you find it utter misery, just don’t act out to draw attention: I believe you’re able to do so.” He commented before telling Alden “But for now, bring Net-Nose and Poo-Breath, they will be accompanying us and I will give them an additional command before we set off: I wish to do so soon, so you being swift about it would be preferable.” He finished while looking at Alden, he would have spoken up to see if Alden filched because of a hangover, but that would help nothing at this point.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Not draw attention to us... How could I, when I look normal next to Lord Freak-eyes, Alden thought to himself. Us is interesting though. It seems he wants or needs me to come along.

"Right you are boss," he replied, before making a poor showing of mounting his horse. Grasping the reins clumsily he copied what he had seen the Outriders do countless times - prod the horse with his heels. Clutching wildly at the front of the saddle as the horse cantered off, he muttered to himself "Wonder what your name is beastie. I reckon we could be spending a bit of time together. No...no you don't! We're going this way," before hauling the horse's head around to the right.

A short distance later he was muttering to himself again. "How do you stop this bloody thing? I dunno...bugger it." With a quick glance to see where he was, he bellowed "Hey Poo-Breath. Boss wants you. Now!" as he passed Poo-Breath's tent at a trot.

Without waiting to see if Poo-Breath had even heard him, let alone was going to react, he pulled the horse's head around towards where Wet-Nose could be usually found. This aint so bad...getting the hang of it I think. Wish the bugger'd stop bouncing up and down so much.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Poo-Breath heads for the tree as Alden trots by.

Wet-Nose is where he normally is and lounging about.

As Alex waits a number of gnolls pass by him and give him both looks of awe and chagrin. It must be hard to be the center figure of a prophecy.

[sblock=OOC] Next post up assume the two gnolls show up and after you tell them what's up I will post your heading out. [/sblock]

Zerith

First Post
[sblock=OoC] never fails the one time I don’t check to see if it went to a new page: it dos >_<
here to a crappie late-night extra early morning post[/sblock]
Alexander did not take much note of the Gnoll’s reaction to him, honestly their reactions were a source of normalcy for him; how they acted towards him was not dissimilar to how commoners at his father’s countship treated him. Because of the unlikely normalcy, he overlooked that they were not acting as he suspected they would towards him

When the two Gnolls arrived Alexander would tell them, ether at the same time or intern, that they were to each choose one other Gnoll to come with them while making a preference for individuals who could conceal readily and knew how to fight; he would also tell them if there was an additional individual who’s talents could prove useful to bring them, and there merits, to his attention. He was not so focused on stealth that he would let a potently useful individual site behind idle just because he wanted to keep their numbers low for the sake of concealment.

Alexander was moderately worried that he was choosing to bring too few; if there were Treylor forces in the area he did not want to be outnumbered by elves; if that were to happen their odds would be very poor indeed. But at the same time if Wet-Nose was half as good of a tracker as he claimed then avoiding a large part of elves would be easy enough.

Assuming neither brought a fifth or sixth Gnoll he would tell them to make ready to disembark. He would tell them details after they disembarked.

Axel

First Post
Spying Wet-Nose lounging on the grass Alden yanked hard on the reins, pulling his horse's head back and bringing it to a stop a dozen paces from the dripping Gnoll. "Wet-Nose. Come. Boss. Now."

Ready for the jolt this time, Alden presses his heels into the horses flanks and holds on grimly as it picks up speed. Giving the reins a gentle pull to the right heads him back towards Alex, who seemed to be the centre of subtle attention from the Gnolls. Gods above help me if I have to endure a whole day of this...jiggling.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
It takes nearly an hour before Everyone is ready to go. Wet-Nose brought two more gnolls after a short trip back into the gnoll camp. Poo-Breath found only one other gnoll to accompany the group. These last three gnolls are heavily armed with bows, axes, and spears. <and if this were Star Trek they would be wearing red shirts>

So Alexander explains one more time what it is they are setting out to do...

[sblock=OCC] Time to give out your instructions they play a big part in this. I wish not to have any "But he would have told them this" or "He would have made sure they knew that." Please be specific and as detailed as you like - BUT :)p) remember these guys aren't to bright (especially Wet-Nose) And I will be playing them as such.

Also figure out how you will be going down the road to the village. [/sblock]

Remove ads