To Con the Con-man

Zerith

First Post
[sblock=OoC]The fast track to pissing Alex off, mention his brother or come between him and what he wants, regardless of intent; he does not like it! :D[/sblock]

Alexander glanced at Alden with a questioning, and flatly annoyed brow: he was asking Martomum.
Would Alexander have asked the fool if Martomum did not answer those questions? Yes, he likely would have even asked Alden for more details latter if Martomum did respond to those questions. Instead this low brow peasant just showed Martomum that he was competent enough to answer at least basic questions for him: this meant the dwarf who already showed an affinity to cutting through conversations and just getting to the meat of the conversation would spend less time at the Gnoll time, and that mean he would now most assuredly not answer the questions that Alexander was most interested in. For the brief time Alden spoke Alexander throw knifes at the man with his eyes; when Alden was finished Alexander’s mood would shift back to the more pleasant one that he was addressing Martomum with earlier. ‘I’m going to turn the twerp bright pink with neon green hair latter…’ Alexander thought in the back of his mind while he refocused his attention onto Martomum, he could only hop at this point that Martomum would answer some of his other questions, but now he would be lucky to get at least trivial answers…
‘neon green hair with red swirly, poka dots…’ he added to himself vengefully

[sblock=OoC]Is Alex smart? Yes. Is he manipulative? Yes. Is he egotistical? Yes. Is he immature? Yep ^_^[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Martomum looks to Alden and nods, "Ye gots it 'ights I do tink. Es mays be'in 'idin. Ye know what be go'in ons bring 'ems up tae speeds. I am a headed back tae camp I's need answers an a knows who tae ask."

Martomum starts searching around for his gear pointed ignoring Alexander as he gathers his equipment.

Axel

First Post
"Will do boss. Once you've got the answers, do tell. I like a good story."

I've seen bloodier changes of ownership. All told that was quite painless Alden thinks.

"Well, the first thing you need to know errr....boss? is that you get used to the smell. If you take a seat under the tree I'll get us some privacy to discuss what in the name of all that is unholy is going on. I don't know if any of these dogs can speak Common." With that, Alden turns around and walks towards the lounging Gnolls, waving his arms in the air.

"Go away you stinking bastards. Get lost! Scram!"

Watching the creatures scurry away from the tree with satisfaction, Alden flops down on the patchy grass beneath the tree and grins at Alex. "Welcome to the most despised detachment in The Bear's army. If what we're doing isn't unimportant, I don't know what is - nobody back at the main camp could give 2 copper pieces what's going on up here." Again, the grin is flashed Alex's way. "This has its advantages though. We can do pretty much whatever we want and, like always, nobody cares."

"Officially, we are looking for a half-elf. Name of Tharivol. Beats me who the hell he is, or why we're looking for him," Alen shrugs. "This Tharivol...he's supposed to be in the mountains north-east of here. Dunno who decided that. Mostly we've been looking - well, the dog men have been looking - around the farms in the mountains. There's a little village there too, Rem. Never been there, but I've been told it's only slightly more interesting than the camp." Alden grimmaces at the thought of people actually choosing to live in such a dreary, dull and forsaken place.

Give me a proper city, with people everywhere any day of the week...

"The blue-cloaked dunderheads searched Rem when the army arrived. That was before I...errr...enlisted, so I can't tell you much. The farms though, I can at least tell you a bit about them. Like I was saying before the stinkers don't go close enough to tell a man from a gnome, let alone a man from a half elf. They're miles apart too. We're lucky if two get checked a day. Using walking dogs to check human farms for a half-elf is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. Still, I'm not here for deep thinking. Just trying to stay out of trouble." Alden shrugs again, with a sad look on his face.

"So...how much did Dellex tell you? I don't think I've ever seen him up this way before."

Zerith

First Post
Alex is an Arse hole :D

Alexander studied Alden while the man spoke, and started judgmentally; Alden was distinctly a street rat to Alexander, and likely a too bit crook.
The first, painful, hint was the man’s use of “boss”, while they were in what could be considered a backwater they were still in a military camp, even if Alden did not know who Alexander was he did know that Alexander was his direct superior and the generic title to be used would be sir. In and of itself the use of “boss” was not enough to get Alexander to tag any one as a street rat, but the list of rat like traits was pronounced.

That Alden thought no one cared about what they were doing also told Alexander that Alden was a street rat, a further clue was his dislike of what Alexander assumed was a rather generic secluded village: to what Alexander knew these were hell for street rats For starters very few people and very dispersed making it hard to ‘accidentally’ bump into a passerby and take their coin purse, further given the low population its rather easy to weed out such individuals without the normal effort and there is no crowd to get lost in; except for the angry mod wanting their purses back. This is why Alex kept his inside the inner pocket of his under coat: a thief would have to defy the laws of magic to get it without him noticing, but this is off point.

Then there was the, very awkward pause before he said ‘enlisted’ most would simply say they enlisted or they were drafted. There was no “I….errr…” to it; this screamed to Alexander that he was serving his sentence out in the army, not that it mattered much to him, just meant he could keep the man on a tighter lease… in this regard it was a boon. Then there was how well the man kept himself.

Sure, the Gnoll camp was smelly to say the least, but just because the camp was smelly was no excuse to completely forget hygiene. And in Alden’s own words “nobody back at the main camp could give 2 copper pieces what's going on up here.” There was literally nothing stopping him from taking at least some efforts in keeping himself clean and shaven, nothing save habit. When no one cares if a street rat keeps up their appearance, they don’t; further, by being as smelly, or nearly as smelly, as their surroundings, it was easier for street rats to blend in. the remark about trying to stay out of trouble only made Alexander certain of his verdict: any sane man who was given such a detail would say nothing about staying out of trouble because they would have to go out looking for it to hind it in this situation, unless they were already in I and it was why they were there in the first place.

Alexander subtly glanced about by rolling his eyes to make sure there was no Gnoll paying close attention and that Martomum was already out of sight, he then figured ‘To hell with it, it’s neon green swirly time.’ As he started a brief chant using his dwarven dialect as a mask, ‘fluttered’ his right hand in front of himself and towards Alden and lead and turned to one side while rolling his eyes again as if rambling on in annoyance. He presumed the dwarven dialect would throw Alden long enough to zap the filth off of Alden and color the man’s hair Neon green with bright red swirly poka dots, and, of cores, make his skin a brilliant bright pink. He would bring this part of the spell, which extended to Alden’s facile hair and creeping downwards, to the man’s attention and explain why momentarily.

As he evoked the spell, Alexander snapped his head back towards Alden and grinned an awfully devious, devious smug grin as a very faint bolt of arcane lightning leapt from his fingers and then ‘poofed’ onto Alden.
[sblock=OoC] Prestidigitation, there are No saves for it! :D[/sblock]

Not Giving Alden even so much time as to begin to react to what just happened Alexander started his long awaited reply. You didn’t enlist, you were drafted under unarguable circumstances.” Alexander began smugly while staring Alden down; he did so love tearing through deceptions.
“Don’t pretend to fool me with such a frail misdirection: I can tell you aren’t as stupid as you’d like other to believe, you’re just lazy. If you had ever bothered to think of a way to say how you joined the Duke’s army then you would have said just ‘I was drafted’ it’s not a lie and it rises no eye brows. Pah!” he paused with annoyance, Alden’s performance was very sloppy at this point of Alexander critique.
“you could have even said that you were drafted because of your talents and accomplishments and still not lied!” he continued with his eyes pointed upwards and hands help up like open claws as if demanding: ‘why can’t this buffoon get the simple things right?’ in frustration
“I can only assume that you were conning enough to manage to convince what I’m assuming were rather annoyed guards into letting you serve out a sentence in the army instead of just taking one or both hands, perhaps even your life. I can also assume that, given the disputation of the regulars, if you so much as looked at one of their coin purses, and they knew of you, then you’d be walking to the gallows that same day: you can’t be trying to stay out of trouble here unless it comes looking for you.
And before you start thinking I’m complementing your intelligence and skills when thinking you can out wit guards and that you are some kind of thief: you were stupid and sloppy enough to get caught, weren’t you?”
he continued with a golden eyed and judgmental stare.

By this point Alexander noticed that Alden’s skin near his hands was a lovely shade of pink. “As I’m sure you’re now noticing, yes. You’re changing color, that spells did a few things, among other things, it cleans rats.” He said, cackling like a crow at the end and still gave Alden no time to reply before continuing. “When I Addressed Martomum, I was not addressing you. The dwarf can talk directly to the Gnolls, he has first hand insights about them that you simply don’t have to offer. The instant you opened your trap with any kind of information you relived him of his burden to inform me about the camp, and its occupants, and placed it on yourself: if you didn’t do so I could have gotten information from him you simple don’t have, and then I could have asked you about possible details he left out. But now…”

Alexander paused while letting out a frustrated breath through his nostrils, “now, Now I’m stuck with only the information that you have, and it being colorful is of no boon to me. This means I won’t know details that could prove vital” he continued as he leaned forwards and templed his hands together.
“The spell I just used on you,” Alexander continued while letting his temper ebb “has many uses, and I’ll leave it to you to ponder what, nefarious purposes it ‘might’ have if I so ‘wish’ it, also, you’ll be less… colorful, in an hour” Alexander continued ending with a smirk as he said ‘colorful’.

“But I seem to have you at an unfair disadvantage, I am not a ‘Boss’ I am a Lord, all be it a young one; or if you would rather, Lord Alexander Julian Ravensworth, the fourth. And you should know we have orders arriving in the morning. So you see, you might have just ruined my last chance at asking Martomum a damned thing before we are deployed into combat: so instead we shall make a long day of discussing this pack of ‘walking dogs’. But I do need to thank you, I don’t know how the Gnolls would have reacted to me using magic while they rested so near to us, you shooing them away let me zap you without worry.” Alexander ended. he could have said Dellex told him nothing, about the camp, but then he would have been less imposing, and he still felt the need to let it sink in that Alden leaped out of the cabinet, over the skillet, and into the fire.

[sblock=OoC]… He’s an arse hole! World’s greatest arse hole! XD
Also, you can make a knowledge roll to see if he knows of Alexander if you like. :3[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Dat's 'nuff lads!" Martomum says from where he just finished gathering his gear. "Undo ye little trick or I'll sick da dogs on ya." Martomum says with enough venom to know he is not bluffing.

"Alden he no be under yuir commands. He be under mine. Da dogs dae be yuir only command ye igget."

Martomum waits to see if Alex undoes his spell his bushy eyebrows drawn down to give his face the appearance of a thunderhead.

Zerith

First Post
Alexander peaked over his shoulder, he over looked the dwarf. ‘Oh well, no fixing that now…’ He thought nervously.
Honestly Martomum was far more intimidating just then than Alexander let on when he dryly glanced at the dwarf: Alexander’s brows flared up at the expression on the Martomum’s face. This dwarf was firmly on Dellex’s S-list; having a deadly and short temper could have been why. The hair on the back of Alexander’s neck leapt up, it did not raise, it did not stand, it leapt up while his heart rate also did leapt up and his breath became shallow. The Dwarf managed to become more frightening then his father, more frightening then his father while his father was on one of his raving-madman-rants and accusing him of all manner of things and believing that Alex was the soul culprit to every affront. A rather terrorizing thing when at one word of said madman ten iron golems in the room will squish you at the madman’s whim.

This was by far the most fear Alexander had felt that, to be frank, he could recall in the last ten years; a deadly realization crossed Alexander mind, Dellex did not send him here to command the Gnoll’s he was sent he to tick off a raging dwarf so Dellex could get the thing executed in short order and be thanked by the nobles for it. If that was true, he was massively underestimating Dellex and he had just blundered dearly.
A crake in his armor appeared when his lips attempted to pull themselves into a slight smugly smile, that vanished in flight before it had the slightest chance to form, a further twich brifly puled the already gone grin to the left for the briefest of instances.
Alexander slowly, calmly, turned to face Alden again and spoke the chant backwards, while fluting his left hand towards Alden before a second thinly arcane lightning bolt leapt from his figures and poofed onto Alden, dispelling the affect. Alexander inhaled deeply and let out a very soft ‘poow’ of relief. Still, he did have something to say to the dwarf all the same. Not that he could meet the dwarfs eyes just yet, as they remained turned to Alden. “Not that I doubt your resolve to fallow through with your threat,” he started slowly in an utterly flat voice, all he could manage at the time without his voice shaking. “but doing so would give Dellex every excuse to have you executed on summery; Alden’s nor the Gnoll’s testimony would not be remotely enough to gain any leeway from any of the nobles who would take interest in a lord from a prestigious hose getting butchered.” he continued onwards while taking effort to keep his voice utterly flat, he was talking slower than he had before, not because he wanted to make the dwarf understand what he was saying, but because he was being very careful in what he said and how he said it. “And yes, it was a little trick, in bad taste I'll add; in case you were worrying about it, the most nefarious thing it could have done was tie his hair in knots, or perhaps brad it. And I hope you don’t mind, but I did not resoil him while removing the petty, harmless, spell.”

Fallon’s warnings were screaming in Alex’s head right then, he almost wanted to strike the old man next time he saw the cleric, but it was rather plane to see the man was right… he would have to admit so latter, if he could admit so latter. “I have a bit of a temper,” Alexander continued slowly as he neared the end of his comments towards the dwarf “and sometimes act without thinking; I hope you can overlook this, trespass.” Alexander finished towards Martomum before speaking a short sentence towards Alden. “I’m sorry for the prank and the threatening, belittling remarks.” He ended while giving Alden a small, polite, slow bow of the head.
Alexander knew full well that, while the Gnolls were then under his command on paper, if Martomum gave them the order to kill him, they would fallow it without much forethought. They respected Martomum and were use to fallowing his orders, Alexander was an unknown and still needed Martomum tell the gnolls that the command had been transferred over to him before he could expect them to do what he said.

'One petty impulse destroyed what was shaping up to be such a good day…' he thought regretfully.

[sblock=OoC] 10, 10, 9, and 10 points to Martomum for honestly spooking and frightening Alex and getting him to apologize to someone he just called a rat, at the same time! :D[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Ye no time fir squabblin and pranks," Martomum says donning his pack. "Ye needs stay alive an a 'inds Tharivol. And ye live me business wit dat mage out 'o yuirs, I can 'andle me-self."

He looks to Alden to make sure the man is alright before continuing. "Guid den. Now gets yuirself tae Rem and see what ye can do. I will send ye 'uman 'elp as I can. But now wit two o' ye, ye will 'ave each other tae watch'n yuir backs."

He starts off towards the irregulars camp grumbling about that stupid wizard doing him a favor.

Alden realizes now why Martomum never allowed him to venture into the village of Rem. It wasn't because he didn't trust the man as he thought. It was because there was no one to go with him to watch his back.

He looks to Alexander and wonders dubiously if he has that someone now.

Zerith

First Post
Alexander stood and dusted himself off briefly as Martomum implied that they both, he and Alden, should go to Rem and steeled himself as he turned about to face the dwarf. “I cannot comply until the morning.” Alexander commented flatly before continuing. “With all due respect, I’ve been told by that ‘stupid wizard’ that I’ll be receiving orders in the morning; leaving my post the hour that I’ve given it while knowing full well that I’ve orders coming from the second highest power in this entire barony borders on treasonous. If you can hasten the arrival of those orders and they can be accomplished while doing this task that is one thing, but I cannot just leave here without those orders to do a task that has already been allowed to rest.”

Axel

First Post
I can tell we're going to have a wonderful working relationship a rather stunned Alden thought. From genuinely being open and honest for the first time in awhile, to being coloured....pink...to having the immature young noble apologise all within a few minutes? Things were FINALLY getting interesting.

"Thanks Marty" he says, addressing the Dwarf. "Pink doesn't really suit my complexion, does it?" He'd never thought the Dwarf had actually trusted him with anything more important than food runs before. A good day for revelations... "If you're still quartermaster down at the camp rather than Fallon, I might drop around later and pick up some supplies."

Turning to Alex, Alden says "I didn't know you were a wizard boss. Explains a few things." He grins again, amused by alex's poposity. "Come this way and I'll introduce you to Poo-Breath." Alden takes a few steps away from the tree, checking to see if Alex is following. "I'm pretty sure he licks his own butt when nobody's looking. Mind you, the others probably do too, but Poo-Breath is by far the worst of the lot."

With a glance over his shoulder to be sure that Martomum was out of earshot, he added in a quiet voice, "I'll show you how the army really works tonight. There's no chance of making Rem before nightfall anyway once we pack for a trip. You see, people here are judged and aportioned responsibility by what they can do and what they have done. Now don't take this the wrong way, but in my experience beneath all the Lord this and Duke of Nowhere titles of the men and women nominally in charge lies a bunch of scared children waiting for Daddy to fix their problems. Their second-in-command tends to be someone very practical who understands how the real world works. I'll introduce you to those guys. If you want something done, talk to them, not Baron Whatsisname."

Alden quietly appraises Alex during their walk away from the tree, paying particular attention to some of the more distinguishing traits, like eyes and hair. "Now, with hair like that you must be one of the Ravensworth clan. I didn't realise that the house traits extended to eyes as well. They're weird man. How'd you get them looking like that? Magic?"

[sblock=OOC]
Yes, first dice roll of the thread is mine! :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
[sblock=OoC] Congrats :p
And you can find the resolution to that roll at the bottom post here, you just barely made the DC for his information :3
Just noticed a typo in it D:
"intellect that as allowed"the 'as' should be 'has', I feel stupid >_< [/sblock]

Alexander grinned, the street rat was becoming enjoyable, and so he let the weird comment slid. “Define magic,” he began comfortably “because my family has been gifted with easy access to nearly every Arcanum for as far back as any tome of history I’ve ever encountered cares to say, and given our, regrettable, constitution we have used it to invigorate ourselves for even longer still. Thus over numerous generations, in addition to the house’s more, outgoing, ways, we inherit innate qualities that are unheard of in other noble house’s that do not share in our lineage.” Alexander informed him smugly “But if you’re asking if I’ve some enchantment, similar the spell just used on you, that gains this appearance the answer is no.” he answered before going to his next string of comments while he fallowed.

“And I’m under the impression that the ‘baron’ of this barony is more commonly referred to with the title of lord, and that he earned this territory through an act of heroics.” he commented smugly “Further, if I’m not mistaken he is most commonly called, and simply, the Bear: have you heard of him?” Alexnader chuckled teasingly “This barony is fledgling and ruled by a man who has no noble blood in him, that titles mean little here is not shocking. But here I am with a command, and if what you say is true for no reason other than I’m able to speak Gnoll. But at the same time, I’m replacing someone who is experienced and can more then likly also speak Gnoll. This makes no sense, don’t you agree?” Alexander grinned. “Further, the lords you’ve got to watch out for the most play the fool only to show themselves as true masters of their domains when it suits them.” He added.

“If politics had nothing to do with anything here, then I would think Martomum would easily still have command of the Gnolls and I would be doing some kind of trivial labor because I’m an arse. But here I am. And further, if lodging was done simply on merit; were is Martomum’s tent? Wouldn’t it be rather large and would he not have more than just one man here with him? I would think anyone with a command would have at least one runner, more depending on how many other commands are needed to be contacted regularly, how commonly they need to be contacted and how far away they are. Given that this command may take up a scouting role three would be reasonable; the second in case something comes up while the first is gone, and the third because something might happen to either of the former runners, or they just might be fatigued. Then you would want at least one capable and trusted lieutenant, who must be able to speak to the troops of the command; situations may arise were the command much be split, or something may happen to the command’s commanding officer and a secondary figurehead must be present to maintain order.
And even then plausibly more support staff in the form of advisers and other attendances such as cooks and clerks, but those are all optional and would likely be misplaced in a unit like this.”
Alexander explained before adding “But no Gnoll that I saw took great interest to an outsider approaching Martomum and riling him up, this tells me none of them are his lieutenant, and you can’t speak to them so you really can’t be a lieutenant in this sense either. Dos an under staffed command seem like something he has earned or something that he was burdened with?” Alexander asked Alden; no matter how Alexander looked at it, Dellex was attempting to, at least, constrain the dwarf. He then briefly wandered off into thought.

Last edited:

Remove ads