Critical Role To Critical Role or not...That is the question

Did Critical Role influence D&D and how do you feel about CR?

• Critical Role is the biggest reason for 5e's popularity and I love CR

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Critical Role is the biggest reason for 5e's popularity and I like CR

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Critical Role is the biggest reason for 5e's popularity and I'm neutral to CR

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Critical Role is the biggest reason for 5e's popularity but I dislike CR

• Critical Role is the biggest reason for 5e's popularity but I hate CR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Critical Role is a factor in 5e's popularity and I love CR

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Critical Role is a factor in 5e's popularity and I like CR

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • Critical Role is a factor in 5e's popularity but I'm neutral to CR

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Critical Role is a factor in 5e's popularity but I dislike CR

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Critical Role is a factor in 5e's popularity but I hate CR

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Critical Role isn't a factor towards 5e's popularity but I love CR

• Critical Role isn't a factor towards 5e's popularity but I like CR

• Critical Role isn't a factor towards 5e's popularity but I'm neutral to CR

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Critical Role isn't a factor towards 5e's popularity and I dislike CR

• Critical Role isn't a factor towards 5e's popularity and I hate CR

• Critical Role...what's that...oh, and I think Matt Mercer is hot

• Critical Role...no idea what that is, but Matt Mercer needs a haircut

• Critical Role...don't ask...but I eat puppies and kittens for lunch

• Critical Role...Yes...yes...I'm critical to RPGs...why do you ask

• Critical Role...go for the eyes boo...go for the eyes!!!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
2 large factors which might be the biggest ones:

D&D is inclusive now.
People want to be social away from screens. This is a huge reason why boardgames have exploded in popularity. D&D is like that but more imaginative and cooperative than most board games (also has less structure which enables more time to be social)
Absolutely agree with those factors as well: it's such a perfect storm that I doubt it's possible to pinpoint one major contributor.

Just about the only thing that hasn't broken in WotC favor for 5E is major multimedia breakout with a hit video game, TV show, or movie: if they can manage that with even modest success, then the game will likely benefit even more than we are seeing now.

G

Guest 7034872

The stated release date for the D&D movie is next March. Does anyone know: are they still on schedule for that? Because so long as it isn't a stinker, that could put a real bump in sales and popularity.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The stated release date for the D&D movie is next March. Does anyone know: are they still on schedule for that? Because so long as it isn't a stinker, that could put a real bump in sales and popularity.
Insofar as anyone knows: they finished filming it a while ago. And whether the movie is good, mediocre or bad...Hasbro will probably go full court press with the toy, which is potentially exciting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oh, another big factor going around now is that a huge number of people rising up in the entertainment industry (writers, actors, musicians, artists, etc.) played D&D in the 80's or 90's, and those influences are starting to seep into the general pop culture (Big Bang Theory, Stranger Things, Rick & Morty, etc.). Now we are getting more and more big fantasy TV and movie productions that tie into D&D style themes keeping it fresh in people's minds.
Not only that, but a ton of famous people in demographics people don't associate with nerds (actors are nerds, writers and directors even moreso) have talked about playing and have shown up on actual play streams and such, from major basketball and football players and pro wrestlers to superfamous rock band guitarists.

Then, add in the impact of inclusion and representation in the books on the same in the actual play and indie creator spaces, and I don't think the buildup of popularity is going to slow down any time soon.

But yeah, to think that CR had anything less than a massive positive impact on building the momentum of all of this is just silly, IMO.

Of course, it's also wild to me how many people ignore the impact of Aquisitions Inc on helping to create the space for CR to even happen in the first place.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not only that, but a ton of famous people in demographics people don't associate with nerds (actors are nerds, writers and directors even moreso) have talked about playing and have shown up on actual play streams and such, from major basketball and football players and pro wrestlers to superfamous rock band guitarists.

Then, add in the impact of inclusion and representation in the books on the same in the actual play and indie creator spaces, and I don't think the buildup of popularity is going to slow down any time soon.

But yeah, to think that CR had anything less than a massive positive impact on building the momentum of all of this is just silly, IMO.

Of course, it's also wild to me how many people ignore the impact of Aquisitions Inc on helping to create the space for CR to even happen in the first place.
For sure, I think CR has had a significant and positive impact.

Remove ads