• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To DM or not to DM. That is the question. Any advice?

I am just offering suggestions.

I wasn't trying to jump down your throat.

I say that about DM'ing being competitive, because so many people seem to think it is a contest, so I was speaking just in general terms. Every session is different based on who plays.

Yet my core idea is still to just do a one off and go crazy with it and see what happens. :)

I try to use special words, I will highlight them here:

Anyone who has a set of rules should try to DM at least once. My experience is that it is easy to over think it.

You have a world? Well, maybe all you need is a one level dungeon.

Your players bailed out after 3 days of working on characters? Maybe you need to start beginners faster.

Dm'ing isn't a competitive art, it's just something one does and learns from. And perhaps being a DM sometimes, will give you a greater appreciation for other DM's when you play again.

If you think in terms of a one off game, you can have more freedom as a DM. I like giving people 2 characters in a one off. And I will even say something like: ok, everyone gets 40k experience points to play with. I also tell them: since this is a one off, we're gonna be playing in a super deadly way. No cake walk!

All meant as suggestions. ;)

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Re players taking too long - unless it is a 3d6 in order odnd/osr game then it is best to have pregens available. For my open table Meetup we always have a selection of pregen pcs for new players to choose from.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
And probably also giving a bad play experience as well!

Yes! It's fine to start with an obvious lead - maybe two - in Hommlet the Moathouse has a big Adventure! sign over it. But the players have the choice to head there right away or spend a good bit of time getting to know the village and potentially getting into scrapes as well as making alliances & friends. The Moathouse itself can be approached in many different ways - and the module still works if the PCs join the bandits or cultists and end up raiding Hommlet from the Moathouse instead of vice-versa. :D

Remove ads