• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Fractal Terrains users

GameGuru4

First Post
Hi, I'm looking for some help with using Fractal Terrains. I recently bought it, and so far I'm very pleased with it, thought the learning curve is taking me a while.

However, I was wondering a few things, maybe someone can help me:

1) How do you get it to generate rivers, or is this something you have to do manually in CC2?

2) In the manual it talks about how FT isn't very good at placing deserts, so how can I figure out where a desert would be likely to appear? I'm no climatologist, so dumb it down as much as you like :)

3) Where should I put mountains? Some of the points generated are upwards of 30,000 feet high, but they get there *very* gradually...like at 30ft/mile of rise, so is this really a mountain? Seems too gradual to be a true "mountain" but damn it's tall, so what is it?

4) How do you guys get your maps to have continents closer to the equator? Alot of the maps I generate have most of the continental mass way in the northern or way in the southern hemispher...and this makes them very cold and mostly tundra. I tried raising the Greenhouse effect to up temperatures, but this makes the oceans practically boiling. :(

Anyway, thanks :)

Max

First Post
Well, I own FT but I am not a skilled user of it.

Your best bet for questions like those are to post them on the CC2 yahoo group. The creator of FT is a regular poster there, and is very good at responding to questions. There are also several regular posters who seem to be quite skilled on FT.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cc2-l/

There was a recent discussion regarding rivers there. IIRC, rives is not a strong point of FT. It is high on the wish list of may FT users.

Good luck!

Max

Remove ads