• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Kill or Not to Kill (PCs): That is the Question...

Where do you fall on the subject of PC deaths?

• Let the dice fall where they may! It makes things more exciting and real!

Votes: 67 55.8%
  • Mostly let the dice fall where they may. If a PC is really unlucky they shouldn't die.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • PCs should die if they do something really stupid. otherwise, let's all have fudge and a good time.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Fudge fudge baby! The story relies too much on the PCs originally created.

Votes: 4 3.3%

kitsune9

Adventurer
I let the dice fall where they may. The PC's maybe heroes and stand against evil, but death should be the consequence of failure and that the campaign can end with Evil winning.

To give the absurd form of the argument:

If the GM puts Tiamat on the first level of the dungeon and allows 1st level characters to walk into it without warning, their death pretty much is on the GM's shoulders.

Now, maybe you personally are so fantastically good that you never over-challenge without telegraphing it. But as a generalization, GMs cannot (and should not) outright disavow culpability. The GM is part of the process, and some of the responsibility can thus fall on them.
Uh, I think you took my post far too literally. Obviously the DM can screw up or screw the players. But in general, I think most DMs try to be fair, and I don't think it's really that hard or that big a deal.

The Red King

First Post
A death every once in a while keeps them all on their toes. And makes them really think when their hit points start to dwindle.

Thats when the PC's really get crafty. Thats what makes the game for me.

Remove ads