D&D 5E [ToA] Heat & Heavy (armor)

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I believe in one of the recent previews, possibly the Fantasy Grounds preview, it was shown that heavy armor will be four time more expensive to purchase in ToA. Now, whether or not they penalize heavy armor use any further remains to be seen, but there is that. Unless I hallucinated it...

Sacrosanct

Legend
They already do have a rule. Funny what happens when you (general you) actually read the DMG ;)

"When the temperature is at or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a creature exposed to the heat and without access to drinkable water must succeed on a Con saving throw at the end of each hour or gain one level of exhaustion. The DC is 5 for the first hour and increases by 1 for each additional hour. Creatures wearing medium or heavy armor, or who are clad in heavy clothing, have disadvantage on the saving throw. Creatures with resistance or immunity to fire damage automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do creatures naturally adapted to hot climates."--p110

*Edit* Should have put this here the first time. According to the US Army, in extreme hot climates, soldiers should be provided 11.4 liters/3 gallons of water a day. I think it's pretty close that an adventurer would be as active as a soldier on patrol, so that's probably a good standard to go by and when to determine a saving throw would be needed.

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
They already do have a rule. Funny what happens when you (general you) actually read the DMG ;)

"When the temperature is at or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, a creature exposed to the heat and without access to drinkable water must succeed on a Con saving throw at the end of each hour or gain one level of exhaustion".

All very well... but is that a dry heat? ;)

Waterbizkit

Explorer
It doesnt matter, you sweat the same regardless of humidity. You just end up dripping more in humid because the sweat doesnt evaporate as well.

Actually it does matter. Heat index bro. Higher humidity causes your body to feel much warmer than the actual air temperature would indicate. If it's 85 degrees Fahrenheit and 50% relative humidity, it feels like it's about 86 degrees, which is to say not especially noticeable. Now bump that relative humidity up to say 80%, not uncommon in a tropical jungle, and now that 85 degrees feels like it's almost 97 degrees.

Bottom line, while water consumption is going to be important in both low and high humidity heat, you're going to exhaust yourself a lot faster in higher humidity.

All of that said, I'll be interested to know what ToA has to say on the subject of temperatures on Chult. If it says nothing, everything is in the hands of your DM to determine how often, if at all, the rules for heat exhaustion come into effect. It's be nice if it gave some guidance though. Anyway, I guess we'll have to see.

Sacrosanct

Legend
All of that said, I'll be interested to know what ToA has to say on the subject of temperatures on Chult. If it says nothing, everything is in the hands of your DM to determine how often, if at all, the rules for heat exhaustion come into effect. It's be nice if it gave some guidance though. Anyway, I guess we'll have to see.

As I posted above, there are already rules for this in the DMG. If it's at or above 100 degrees F, then you make your save every hour if you don't have ample water.

Remove ads