ToB - Crtical Hits and Stances/Maneuvers

scrubkai

Explorer
Quick question, if my Warblade is in a stance or using a maneuver that gives him extra damage on a successful strike and that strike is a critical hit, is the damage from the strike multiplied.

For example from our last session:
If my warblade is using a + 1 scimitar (1d6 +1 damage) with a 20 str (+5 damage), is in the Punishing Stance ( Melee Attacks deal + 1d6 damage) and is using the Mountain Hammer maneuver (does + 2d6 damage).
That's a standard damage of 4d6 + 6 for the hit.

I rolled up a 20 and confirmed the critical hit.

So how much damage should I have done?
Only double the Weapon and strength damage? (5d6 + 12)
Or double all damage (8d6 + 12)

Thanks all,
Kai

Nail

First Post
ToB:Bo9S page 43:

"You do not multiply extra damage from a strike with a successful critical hit. You treat it just as you would extra damage from another special ability, such as sneak attack."

starwed

First Post
The standard rules are that bonus dice are never multiplied, while static bonuses are. So even without looking at the ToB rules you wouldn't multiply damage from (for example) mountain hammer.

But it sounds like this:
You do not multiply extra damage from a strike with a successful critical hit.
would cancel the normal rules for strikes which add a flat bonus to damage. (Such as the 9th level one which deals +100 damage.)

Fedifensor

Explorer
The interesting thing is that Insightful Strike replaces the weapon's normal damage. So either it can still be multiplied (because it is the new base damage of the weapon), or the weapon completely loses its ability to gain a critical hit.

hong

WotC's bitch
I don't think Insightful Strike gives new "base damage". It's simply... new damage. Besides, Greater Insightful Strike doesn't need to be powered up any more beyond what it already is.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
But Counters, Boosts & Stances which grant extra damage (or deal damage) follow the normal rules for crits, right?

The bonus damage from Tactics of the Wolf would be multiplied, and the extra static bonus from Burning Blade, but the extra damage die from Burning Blade would not be, right?

Thanks, -- N

Nail

First Post
Good question.

It does say "strikes"....but the "strikes" rules just follow the normal "extra damage" core rules.

IMO: No extra damage from any manuever is multiplied on a crit. IMO, YMMV.

Remove ads