D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation campaign recaps

sim-h

Explorer
Great write up. My sessions have slowed to a snail's pace, but should be picking up now - we had one last week, first time since July I think. We're on session 23

A few sessions ago, the group were captured by the Yuan-ti after struggling in Shagambi's shrine (can't wait to see their faces if they go back there and find it all reset and all 4 gladiator ready to go again...). That phrase "When the party first takes a short or long rest" attached to the five malisons following them into Omu is a bit of a killer! They barely got out of Shagambi's shrine alive, so they had no chance.

They had one session as slaves and then three sessions of combat slog at the head of the slave revolt! They seemed to enjoy the slog so far, so that's OK. They have fought their way to the southern exit - aside from the PCs, six slaves and Lomar Dral survive. The other NPCs (Pottery Shard, Gorvax the firenewt, Oloma Authdamar and Zilla Ataza) died when Sekelek assailed them. Sekelek plus minions was nearly a TPK until the druid conjured crocodiles to grapple him, whereupon the battle turned in their favour. The sorcerer had to burn all his sorcery points to get another fireball and blitz the pursuing basilisks and broodguards (second fireball they'd had!).

They won that fight and were free to go, but the Druid started a big debate about the place being reinforced if they left now. He argued they should head back in! Cue more reinforcements attacking through the Venom Distillery - and we ran out of time.

They'll easily defeat this next small wave of attackers, but the big question is what they do next. A full scale assault on the Fane - with Fenthaza now having defeated Ras Nsi thanks to Sekelek's absence - may be suicidal. Yahru and his gladiators, plus six malisons in the fane before they even reach Fenthaza (who will be on half HPs after fighting Ras Nsi) and her priests? Ouch. Only a couple of people have spells or abilities left, although most characters are on full or close HPs.

Next session should be in a week's time - and will be very interesting. I think the Druid player is going to be missing, which may shift the consensus to retreating for now - probably wise!

YUAN-TI BODYCOUNT:
Broodguards: 15
Malisons: 4 (soon to be 5)
Purebloods: 6 (soon to be 10)
Azi Mas: 1
Sekelek: 1
Basilisks: 2

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Session 40 - Naked and alone.

This may end up being a good example of why you should never split the party.

We have another game tomorrow and then I am away for the following two weeks. Next week I am a parent helper on a school camp, and the following week I travel to my graduation ceremony. After doing my job for many years I've finally got a qualification.

Nebulous

Legend
Great write up. My sessions have slowed to a snail's pace, but should be picking up now - we had one last week, first time since July I think. We're on session 23

A few sessions ago, the group were captured by the Yuan-ti after struggling in Shagambi's shrine (can't wait to see their faces if they go back there and find it all reset and all 4 gladiator ready to go again...). That phrase "When the party first takes a short or long rest" attached to the five malisons following them into Omu is a bit of a killer! They barely got out of Shagambi's shrine alive, so they had no chance.

They had one session as slaves and then three sessions of combat slog at the head of the slave revolt! They seemed to enjoy the slog so far, so that's OK. They have fought their way to the southern exit - aside from the PCs, six slaves and Lomar Dral survive. The other NPCs (Pottery Shard, Gorvax the firenewt, Oloma Authdamar and Zilla Ataza) died when Sekelek assailed them. Sekelek plus minions was nearly a TPK until the druid conjured crocodiles to grapple him, whereupon the battle turned in their favour. The sorcerer had to burn all his sorcery points to get another fireball and blitz the pursuing basilisks and broodguards (second fireball they'd had!).

They won that fight and were free to go, but the Druid started a big debate about the place being reinforced if they left now. He argued they should head back in! Cue more reinforcements attacking through the Venom Distillery - and we ran out of time.

They'll easily defeat this next small wave of attackers, but the big question is what they do next. A full scale assault on the Fane - with Fenthaza now having defeated Ras Nsi thanks to Sekelek's absence - may be suicidal. Yahru and his gladiators, plus six malisons in the fane before they even reach Fenthaza (who will be on half HPs after fighting Ras Nsi) and her priests? Ouch. Only a couple of people have spells or abilities left, although most characters are on full or close HPs.

Next session should be in a week's time - and will be very interesting. I think the Druid player is going to be missing, which may shift the consensus to retreating for now - probably wise!

YUAN-TI BODYCOUNT:
Broodguards: 15
Malisons: 4 (soon to be 5)
Purebloods: 6 (soon to be 10)
Azi Mas: 1
Sekelek: 1
Basilisks: 2

I really enjoyed the Fane. I think every group will have a unique experience with it. I almost wish I could approach it multiple times and see how it pans out.

Nebulous

Legend
Session 40 - Naked and alone.

This may end up being a good example of why you should never split the party.

We have another game tomorrow and then I am away for the following two weeks. Next week I am a parent helper on a school camp, and the following week I travel to my graduation ceremony. After doing my job for many years I've finally got a qualification.

This reminds me, I can't find my modron minis for this adventure! What the hell did I do with them?

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
It's a wee while since my last game, so this is a very short journal entry compared to normal because my memory has lost some of the details. Good fun, and Besh came very close to dying. Next week they will be heading down into the hags lair.

Nebulous

Legend
Cool. Our Tomb campaign has likewise slowed to a crawl and it is very unlikely we will be able to finish it. That said, I have greatly enjoyed it up until now, especially Omu which felt like the highlight of the adventure.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
We'll definitely finish ours, but as Christmas approaches it is getting harder to get everyone together (particularly me). One of the players in this game will be taking on Decent into Avernus, and I've preordered the upcoming Eberron stuff.

Remove ads