• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation on Amazon - why so expensive?

Mercurius

Legend
I pre-ordered back in June and as far as I can tell, it never got lower than $44.96. I know, support your FLGS, blah blah blah - hey, money is tight (I live in Hawaii, among other things). I ended up cancelling the order as i can't afford $45 right now.

Anyone have a different experience? Why hasn't my pre-order gone below $44.96 in three months? Or does Amazon "profile" people by location and because I live in Hawaii and it costs more to ship to me, my discount sucks?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is something weird going on with pricing on this one.

Fantasy Grounds and D&D Beyond have it at half the price of Roll20 and Amazon.

That tells me something weird is going on with pricing behind the scenes.

I've asked Roll20 why their version of the adventure is priced double the Fantasy Grounds version. First I did it on their message board, and the message was deleted without comment. So then I emailed them and asked. I hope they answer.

Quickleaf

Legend
I pre-ordered back in June and as far as I can tell, it never got lower than $44.96. I know, support your FLGS, blah blah blah - hey, money is tight (I live in Hawaii, among other things). I ended up cancelling the order as i can't afford $45 right now.

Anyone have a different experience? Why hasn't my pre-order gone below $44.96 in three months? Or does Amazon "profile" people by location and because I live in Hawaii and it costs more to ship to me, my discount sucks?

Hey mate :) Amazon Prime is the way to go living in the islands or anywhere off the US mainland really. Free shipping saves money in the long run if you're using Amazon with some regularity.

I'm sure one of us in our little circle of Hawaii gaming friends will pick up the book. I've been thinking about it, but have been waiting till the group comes back together. I may swing by Da Planet or Armchair Adventurer and pick up a copy; I'll message you if I do, and can pass book onto you after I get to absorb it for a day or two.

I think [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] is onto something about the pricing, though friendly warning Mistwell, the Roll20 forums don't allow discussing "rival software" on their forums. I know. I know. Ridiculous, but that's very likely why they deleted your question. It's like walking on eggshells on those forums.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Disclaimer: Take this with a grain of salt as I may be completely off in my understanding. That said....

I believe that the price is based on the number of preorders and the project number of sales, the more preorders the lower the price will be. This may mean that ToA may not have done as well in preorders as previous adventures.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Disclaimer: Take this with a grain of salt as I may be completely off in my understanding. That said....

I believe that the price is based on the number of preorders and the project number of sales, the more preorders the lower the price will be. This may mean that ToA may not have done as well in preorders as previous adventures.

darjr

I crit!

I've asked Roll20 why their version of the adventure is priced double the Fantasy Grounds version. First I did it on their message board, and the message was deleted without comment. So then I emailed them and asked. I hope they answer.

Well, that's why we come here.

I'm thinking of getting the Fantasy Grounds version, I own fantasy grounds. How well does the content foster reading it via a tablet? Ipad?

Would love to hear what happens. Be careful though, if you ask on their forums again you will probably get banned.

I'm thinking of getting the Fantasy Grounds version, I own fantasy grounds. How well does the content foster reading it via a tablet? Ipad?
FG doesn't currently support iOS natively. I don't know if you can run Wine or another Windows emulator on an iPad, but you would have to do that. You can do it on a Windows tablet. The specs to run FG are not that high.

Here are screen shot of the Reference Manual portion of ToA on FG. This is the way you would "read" the adventure in FG.
Screen Shot 09-09-17 at 08.34 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 09-09-17 at 08.34 PM 001.PNG
Screen Shot 09-09-17 at 08.35 PM.PNG

If you are going for something to read on a tablet, then DDB is the answer - Fantasy Grounds is a VTT - DDB is basically WotCs version of using PDFs - with a ton more features than PDFs, obviously.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads