• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Too many natural 20s

cwhs01

First Post
I'll just paraphrase a friend of mine. Hope the joke isn't lost in translation:)

"why is confirmation bias allways happening to me?"

benjamin

Explorer
Maybe they are famous last words for a DM...

"OK, <lol> cool idea, it's not very likely, but I'll let it happen if you get... say a 19 or 20"

...rolls...

"Oh!"

<all lol>

Ben

benjamin

Explorer
I was once playing ludo with my 7 year old son. :)

He got all his men through bar one... he needed to role a one to finish off the game... I had only one guy through out of seven. :confused:

He roled 47d6 without getting a single one. :mad:

I won the game... :D

The very next role he made... after I got my last guy home was...

...you guessed it...

...a one. :lol:

Good opportunity to teach him about probability... and statistics...

Ben

Want incredibly atmospheric background
soundscapes for your gaming table?
Go to: www.syrinscape.com
Download for free!
See a program demo, and listen to mp3s
of Syrinscape in action.

It is amazing how a consistent string of natural 20's can wreck an encounter in short order, as the GM for a Star Wars game I play in could agree witih, given I was playing a Jedi with a highly alarming tendency to get a natural 20 on his Use the Force checks with regular ease, be it using Force powers or even just the Block/Deflect talents. The whole balance of SWSE tends to get wonky when you've got a Force-user whose power suite completely refreshes every other round ;)

One of the other players actually did a statistical analysis of player dice rolls (he claims it's a relaxing diversion for him), and come to find that statistically speaking young Zayne will roll a 20 on every 3rd or 4th Use the Force check, and only once has rolled below a 15 on said checks. Not as scary as the Mando Soldier when he got a nat 20 using the Burst Fire feat, rolling 5d8 plus bonuses as early as 3rd level.

roguerouge

First Post
Not the point, I know, but you might want to talk to your DM about easing up on the throttle a bit. You've got an average party level of 6.6 (converting to a 4 character team) vs. an encounter level of 11, which the SRD encounter generator describes as overpowering.

I hope, at least, that the DM was using morale and evening the encounter by having some of the orc mooks run away when some of them went down.

possum

First Post
It can happen with virtual dice, too. I was playing in a Star Wars game on OpenRPG and the GM kept getting crits during the final battle of one of our sessions of the Dawn of Defiance game. I don't a one of us survived completely unscathed from that combat.

Obryn

Hero
Somewhat surprisingly, I have a set of amber Gamescience dice that just tend to roll really, really high.

I don't get it. I mean, they're fair dice - in theory the fairest out there. And yet, while DMing, I get more than my fair share of 17-20 results... I'm really glad that I roll all my dice in the open, because I'd hardly believe it myself. :)

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads