Top Games Played On FG In 2018: D&D, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds

Fantasy Grounds has sent me over some graphs showing the top games played on its virtual tabletop platform throughout the whole of 2018. Unsurprisingly, the top three are D&D 5th Edition (67%), Pathfinder (12%), and Savage Worlds (5%). These are followed by Starfinder, D&D 3.5, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 4E, Star Wars, then Pathfinder 2. The figures are much the same as we've seen previously, with an increase by Starfinder and the appearance of Pathfinder 2 from July.

Fantasy Grounds has sent me over some graphs showing the top games played on its virtual tabletop platform throughout the whole of 2018. Unsurprisingly, the top three are D&D 5th Edition (67%), Pathfinder (12%), and Savage Worlds (5%). These are followed by Starfinder, D&D 3.5, Call of Cthulhu, D&D 4E, Star Wars, then Pathfinder 2. The figures are much the same as we've seen previously, with an increase by Starfinder and the appearance of Pathfinder 2 from July.

image002.png

image004.png

Previous stats: 2016 | 2017

Kite474

Explorer
I wonder if, assuming that 5e is truly bringing new people to TTRPG, some of the 5e numbers will eventually lead to a rise in the rest of the numbers as people try other systems.

Also, this has a me little worried for PF. The fact the both the PF and PF2 numbers are going down doesn't seem good. I personally don't play PF, but I think it is a good foil for 5e and hope it able to continue to be a strong competitor.

Its certaintly bringing new people but I think the statement is a little suspect.

Its not bringing new people to the HOBBY wherein they explore and try things that it has to offer both in the inde space and some older contenders (Shadowrun Warhammer, etc)

Its bringing new people to D&D and from looks of it they have no desire to go anywhere else which is a dam shame

As for Pathfinder I think its just on the slow death. Its a shame but generally people nowadays dont want systems that require a bit of maneuvering and as previously said the vast majority seems to be "D&D or bust". So it looses out on mechanical appeal (everyone wants "simple" games) and thematic appeal (its fantasy but not D&D)

dave2008

Legend
Its certaintly bringing new people but I think the statement is a little suspect.

Its not bringing new people to the HOBBY wherein they explore and try things that it has to offer both in the inde space and some older contenders (Shadowrun Warhammer, etc)

Its bringing new people to D&D and from looks of it they have no desire to go anywhere else which is a dam shame

I agree that is what it looks like now, I was just wondering if that will change down the road. I here a lot of people on these forums say they started with D&D and then moved on to other things, some times many years later. It never really happened for me, I've tried a few other systems, but I pretty much always play D&D since the '80s.

As for Pathfinder I think its just on the slow death. Its a shame but generally people nowadays dont want systems that require a bit of maneuvering and as previously said the vast majority seems to be "D&D or bust". So it looses out on mechanical appeal (everyone wants "simple" games) and thematic appeal (its fantasy but not D&D)

That is my fear. I hope it is just a hick-up.

Kite474

Explorer

It most likely is not. This industry isnt the kind where you really bounce back unless your radically change things. I also think 5e success has full on ushered the Disney effect wherein various other competitors might as well not exists just due to the massive scale D&D inhabits. Add the lack of advertising available to other games (Ill eat a shoe the day Critical Roll plays something not D&D) and they just never really get the ball rolling.

This may sound a little "The end is nigh" but I think there are dark times ahead for the industry at large. D&D isnt just the 10 ton gorilla anymore its an institution now and honestly it looks to be an institution that really will just be the only thing left with the rest just forgotten or so barely scrapping by its little more than a joke.

dave2008

Legend
It most likely is not. I think 5e success has full on ushered the Disney effect wherein various other competitors might as well not exists.

This may sound a little "The end is nigh" but I think theres dark times ahead for the industry at large. D&D isnt just the 10 ton gorilla anymore its an institution now and honestly it looks to be an institution that really will just be the only thing left.

That seems unlikely to me. The other games are not in general getting smaller (well except for pathfinder), they just have a lower percentage because D&D is growing so much. So if they were previously viable, I think they could still be.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
The Pathfinder Playtest finished in December so now you would be just playing for the fun of it.

I agree that is what it looks like now, I was just wondering if that will change down the road. I here a lot of people on these forums say they started with D&D and then moved on to other things, some times many years later. It never really happened for me, I've tried a few other systems, but I pretty much always play D&D since the '80s.

From my point of view playing a playtest designed to stress test an RPG is not as good as playing a finished game.

My friends and I were playing in a campaign using the PF2.0 playtest rules, so we weren't even stress-testing the system. We found the system...not very good and not very fun. Our characters didn't feel like heroes, I fear the developers went a little too overboard in downplaying the power of every ability and then locked those abilities behind certain levels. Creating a character even felt you were being led into an archetype rather than a personalised character. While I can appreciate this is a different system, the mechanics of it all felt too fiddly and a bit time-consuming for streamlined play.

I too wish Paizo to do well, they write truly amazing and excellent lore and fluff, I just wish the mechanical side of things was just as good.

Some of this is driven by the quality of the ruleset automation. Savage Worlds has a very good ruleset. There is an excellent community AD&D ruleset as well. So that encourages more players of those systems to use FG.

Of course, the 5e ruleset is very good. FG was the first to win the WoTC license and they have all of the official WoTC 5e material available.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads