• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Torrent throwdown on the Wizards board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I would assume that WotC likely put digital watermarks into certain pages (functioning as a way to track what was printed where). Digital watermarks are imperceptable to the eye and can be hidden in images or even the background of a page.

That will lead to the culprit.

warlockwannabe

First Post
Moniker said:
I would assume that WotC likely put digital watermarks into certain pages (functioning as a way to track what was printed where). Digital watermarks are imperceptable to the eye and can be hidden in images or even the background of a page.

That will lead to the culprit.

I would hope so.

And also, because of your avatar I have to say.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBRA!

Xsjado

First Post
I think that anyone who would cancel an order because they've found a digital copy is shooting themselves in the foot. I (and a lot of people) find reading huge blocks of text on a computer screen difficult and what happens when you actually need to play? Are you going to print out the entire document because that costs you more in paper and ink than just buying it would. Not to mention, a legit book is going to be a lot higher quality than something coming off your home inkjet printer.

EDIT: Digital watermarks mean nothing in this case. These aren't scans they are OEF files so even if they contain watermarking data it won't lead to anything more narrow than a company or department. In that case you may never find the person who is actually responsible because there'll be a large number of people with access.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Explorer
Blacksmithking said:
I think people are tilting at a windmill. I don't think PDF versions of the books will hurt WotC's sales.
Personally, I don't care about the sales. I'm tilting at thieves. ;)

jc_madden

First Post
Xsjado said:
I think that anyone who would cancel an order because they've found a digital copy is shooting themselves in the foot.

Totally agree, nothing cooler than OWNing something and being able to see it on your book shelf. Also very cool to support the industry, for without our $$ they would go away and I would be a sad panda.

Xsjado said:
I (and a lot of people) find reading huge blocks of text on a computer screen difficult and what happens when you actually need to play?

I disagree with you there, however. My friends and I (who have purchased quite literally a ton of books, mind you) find using sites like d20srd.org invaluable during play. Keeping books off the table adds to the immersion in the game. We still have to take out splat books for info that's not on that site, but we put them away when we are done with them.

Xsjado said:
Not to mention, a legit book is going to be a lot higher quality than something coming off your home inkjet printer.

Not if KotS's printing quality is any indication of what to expect. It was utter crap.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think anyone who would cancel an order because of a digital copy and then say so on WotC's board is helping to ensure that WotC won't ever put out legal PDFs again.

Xsjado

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I think anyone who would cancel an order because of a digital copy and then say so on WotC's board is helping to ensure that WotC won't ever put out legal PDFs again.
Did they ever put out legal pdfs in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads