• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Totally underwhelmed by 5e bladesinger, am I missing something?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I like fighter/mages.

I liked elves in od&d all the way through swordmages in 4e and eldrich knights in 5e.

I've liked the previous iterations of the bladesinger.

But the current incarnation of the bladesinger just seems off to me.

It seems to be a wizard that gives up the best parts of being a wizard (range, cover from allies etc.) to be a barely competent melee combatant - and that for only about 2 minutes a day.

As a matter of fact, it seems the best way to play a bladesinger (certainly from a survivability standpoint) is to ignore the "wade into the fray" fluff hang back and enjoy the high AC and (at higher level) damage absorption (for the VERY limited times you get them) - and just be the full wizard you are.

So what am I missing?

flametitan

Explorer
Well, for one thing: Bladesinging is twice a short rest, not twice a long rest, so you can actually bladesing fairly frequently. And 1 minute is 10 rounds of combat, so bladesong should last for the duration of most fights.

Secondly, you're not wrong: It is still a wizard. A wizard that can engage in melee because your AC is so high. Use this to your advantage. Cast spells. Don't rely on your weapon purely.

jgsugden

Legend
In the recommended encounter design, there should be a few combats where you do not need to rely upon bladesong, as well. A few ranged cantrips is fine to dispatch easy challenges... and if you melee in those battles your hp loss will likely be trivial.

Many people play it as a melee class, most of the time, but as you note, it seems to be used more often as a pure wizard with defensive abilities. The flavor is wrong for the later, but it is fine either way.

neogod22

Explorer
My Bladesinger is lvl 8, I played him through the AL Ravenloft storyline. He's actually pretty good in melee since it's almost impossible to hit him. Most times he's only hit on a critical, or a spell attack. If need be, he will hang back and lob spells, but I built him to be a pure nightmare if he gets into melee.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I like fighter/mages.

I liked elves in od&d all the way through swordmages in 4e and eldrich knights in 5e.

I've liked the previous iterations of the bladesinger.

But the current incarnation of the bladesinger just seems off to me.

It seems to be a wizard that gives up the best parts of being a wizard (range, cover from allies etc.) to be a barely competent melee combatant - and that for only about 2 minutes a day.

As a matter of fact, it seems the best way to play a bladesinger (certainly from a survivability standpoint) is to ignore the "wade into the fray" fluff hang back and enjoy the high AC and (at higher level) damage absorption (for the VERY limited times you get them) - and just be the full wizard you are.

So what am I missing?

Thats the way to play them. As a high AC wizard who can (at a pinch) engage in melee with a reasonable degree of competency.

On the flip side, dont play your EK as a wizard either. They're a fighter with spellcasting available in a pinch and a few nice tricks.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I actually think that Bladesinger is a little overpowered

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

How so? The limited use of the bladesinger, means you have to be pretty conservative with it.

When I compare the bladesinger to a diviner or abjurer I certainly don'the see them as heftier!

Though, I'm not really worried about the power level (it is a full caster afterall), just that it's not very fighter/magey.

Zardnaar

Legend
Don't play it as a melee character use it purely defensive. 2 attacks a round does not make you good at combat (see the valor bard). Skirmish with it occasionally but yeah melee s not really your thing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Arcane trickster is a better bladesinger IMO.

Or bladesinger/rogue, ranger or fighter.

Or reflavored paladin/warlock, for that matter.

But it i also just don't like 5e wizards much.

How so? The limited use of the bladesinger, means you have to be pretty conservative with it.

Bladesong is 2/ short rest. The game assumes around 2 encounters per short rest (and around 6-8 encounters per long rest).

Bladesong should be active most encounters youre in.

When I compare the bladesinger to a diviner or abjurer I certainly don'the see them as heftier!

On this we agree. They give up some pretty cool abilities for a high AC and the ability to deal slightly better at will damage (in melee).

Though, I'm not really worried about the power level (it is a full caster afterall), just that it's not very fighter/magey.

Multiclass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads