Touch of Healing - How does it work?

MithrasRahl

First Post
Feat - Touch of Healing

Benefit: As long as you have a conjuration (healing) spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can spend a standard action to touch a target creature and heal 3 points of damage per level of the highest-level conjuration (healing) spell you have available to cast. You can use this ability only on a target that has been reduced to one-half or fewer of its total hit points. The effect ends once you've healed the subject up to half its normal maximum hit points. This ability has no effect on creatures that can't be healed by cure spells.

How does this work?

Folly

First Post
How I read it was that you could use the ability on any target with fewer than 1/2 their max hp and once the target reach 1/2 or more of their max hp it stopped working. This means that you will be able to use it to get the target to a fewer hp above their halfway point. It can also cause some interesting situations when the target has very low max and the caster has high level spells. For example, if a character was at 24 of 50 and a caster with access to 9th level spells were to use it on him. It would function since the target is below 1/2 max and would gain 27 hp. In this particular situation the target would end up being at full. Given this only really happens at the extreme cases and not a serious concern, since if you have a party member with 50 hp at level 17 you have more dire problems to worry about. Though I suppose a wizard with 10 con would have 55 hp at level 17 assume (1/2) +1 per level.

Darklone

MithrasRahl said:
And that's not overpowered?
Usually not. I was very cautious at first to allow it but even in campaigns where healing is pretty rare (and wands of CLW are not easily bought) it wasn't too strong.

As our fighter said: At half hitpoints you're half dead.

Edit: The penguin won initiative!

Corsair

First Post
Up to level 3 or 4, half dead is still one hit away from really dead. Whether you have 1 HP or 20 HP doesn't matter much when a troll rends you, or an ogre fighter 2 power attacks with a two handed great club.

Past that, all it really does is replicate what you could have done with wands of Cure Light Wounds or Lesser Vigor.

Remove ads