• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tower of Druaga... only butt-kicking RPG fans need apply

charlesatan

Explorer
StreamOfTheSky said:
Is my memory cross-wired, or isn't Tower of Druaga Namco-related? Could swear I remember a Tower of that name from one of their Game Cube games, either Baten Kaitos or Tales of Symphonia (I think it's from the former). To check! *runs off*

Yes, it's based on a popular video game franchise.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Yeah, I was right. In the original Baten Kaitos, there is a "Tower of DRUAGA" (all caps, just like this anime) as part of the Mystical Garden dungeon on the Mira continent. I know it's not the first place DRUAGA showed up, though. It wasa Namco game of it's own, I think, probably NES as Heaven stated. In Baten Kaitos, it's funny cause when you enter the tower, the game goes 2D. You fight green slime, there's some legend about the "Golden Hero," and you need to find a golden pick axe. Sound familar, maybe?

From a gameFAQs guide from here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/917921/35051
Let me know if this apparant homage to an older game rings any bells with some of these walkthrough passages.
[sblock]"...Particularly, ask about the Golden Hero. After you hear the story, enter the room to the east and you'll find yourself in... whoo, 2D! However, let's not jump right in yet.
...Keep talking to him over and over, and he'll give you a Red Necklace, Jet Boots, and a White Sword. The first one will allow you to walk through the burning flames of the Tower of DRUAGA, the Jet Boots will let you run at twice the normal speed, inside the tower. The White Sword does...absolutely nothing.
Once you've got this very useful stuff, enter the tower itself, and it'll be just the way you expected it. A 2D maze with lots of confusing passageways. Still, fires burn everywhere to block your speed off, so with the Red Necklace and Jet Boots, this place won't be too bad. Only problem is, if you want to get an important item, YOU HAVE TO DEFEAT THE SLIME ENEMIES."

Just some of what happens in the game.[/sblock]

So yeah, this anime must have soem kind of Namco connection.

charlesatan said:
Yes, it's based on a popular video game franchise.
Cool, thanks.

StreamOfTheSky said:
So yeah, this anime must have soem kind of Namco connection.

Wikipedia information

And as others have mentioned, the first episode is something you will either laugh with (if you find the in-jokes and RPG cliches funny) or hate (if you find the same to be annoying). However, those that press on are rewarded with a very entertaining series that truly does watch up like good D&D game sessions.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
It has it's high points, including a lot of geek in-jokes and stereotypes. And they're usually pretty funny. It has potential, but overall it was so stereotypically Japanese in its depictions/dialog/characters/behavior it made my teeth hurt to watch it.

HeavenShallBurn said:
but overall it was so stereotypically Japanese in its depictions/dialog/characters/behavior it made my teeth hurt to watch it.

I'm glad one of my suggestions has brought someone physical pain. :)

Better Japanese fantasy anime than what passes for American fantasy animation, eg: Dragonlance.

(Avatar being the exception that proves the rule.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads