D&D 5E Toxicity in the Fandom

Hussar

Legend
They have potential, but as we discussed earlier, you need to really use them correctly. Like, say you want the PC's to sail a ship to a destination. Having one guy be a lookout with perception checks each day, another person navigate, another keep the rigging ship shape...that sort of thing.

Then you have some consequences for success (or even degrees of success) and failure. Honestly, most games do this sort of thing all the time without even realizing it. A lot of Pathfinder Adventure Paths do this sort of thing, like Skulls and Shackles, they just don't call it out.

It's a way to handle non-combat "exploration actions", I guess. But not the only way.
See, there's the trick isn't it?

Pathfinder does this kind of thing now. It took 4e adding it into the D&D sort of zeitgeist to sort of add it into the lexicon of D&D gaming. I have seen sort of proto-skill challenges in earlier modules, but, generally speaking, the notion of a skill challenge as a thing for DM's to use during the game wasn't really part of D&D until 4e came along. Now? Now, it's pretty common if like a lot of 4e mechanics ported over into 5e, done in a much more loosey goosey way.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
False start, soz.
They have potential, but as we discussed earlier, you need to really use them correctly. Like, say you want the PC's to sail a ship to a destination. Having one guy be a lookout with perception checks each day, another person navigate, another keep the rigging ship shape...that sort of thing.

Then you have some consequences for success (or even degrees of success) and failure. Honestly, most games do this sort of thing all the time without even realizing it. A lot of Pathfinder Adventure Paths do this sort of thing, like Skulls and Shackles, they just don't call it out.

It's a way to handle non-combat "exploration actions", I guess. But not the only way.

When this sort of thing comes organically out of the narrative, like in your example, I'm all for it. 👍 But the way I've seen it happen it feels like the GM is just says "skill challenge" and then the players just come up with stupid ways to use their highest skill.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
False start, soz.

When this sort of thing comes organically out of the narrative, like in your example, I'm all for it. 👍 But the way I've seen it happen it feels like the GM is just says "skill challenge" and then the players just come up with stupid ways to use their highest skill.
Yes and that's certainly a reaction you can have. The GM needs to really take the abilities of their group into account when deciding to use a skill challenge. Most of the problems (but not all) I've had with skill challenges came from published adventures where the designer forgot that maybe the Fighter has nothing to offer but Athletics or Intimidation.

Hussar

Legend
What do you do when you realize you’re part of the problem? I get that stop being terrible is the easy answer, but after that?
My advice? Disengage. Just stop. Don't engage with that person anymore. It will simply not be productive and will not resolve anything. They will have the last word, and that's perfectly fine. And then do better next time. Recognize where you need to be better. And, I think this one is key, recognize the situations where you are going to (and I mean you as in everyone including me, not you specifically) become part of the problem and learn to disengage before then.

I think that's all we can do going forward. Accept that whatever happened, happened, but, resolve to do better next time. There really is no going backwards usually.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
What do you do when you realize you’re part of the problem? I get that stop being terrible is the easy answer, but after that?
Introspection, soul searching, brooding, a Fast and the Furious Marathon...sufficient self-castigation and you will rise from the ashes like a phoenix!

Seriously though, you need to figure out where the vitriol is coming from. Why does it bother you so much that things aren't the way they are? Is there anything constructive you can do about it?

It's a crazy world, and it often feels like we have no control over anything. Beloved movie franchises are strangled of any ounce of creativity, to the point you dread the mention of the word "reboot". Games you love are destroyed and replaced by things that have the same name, but are completely different.

Our safe spaces and escapes from the chaos sometimes feel like they are under attack, and for a lot of people, that's the final straw.

The good news is, you're not alone. There are people who feel the same way, and some bitching about it is therapeutic. But for true catharsis, you need to find a better outlet than trying to bring other people down.

Because when everyone is trying to drag each other down, nobody wins.

Remove ads