Tracking initiative

aco175

Legend
A sheet of paper and pencil. I was messing around with magnetic dry erase combat pads, initiative tends, and other table clutter until I read Angry GM's rant about this and realized he was right. (see: How to Manage Combat Like a Motherf$&%ing Dolphin)

But now that all my games have to be online, I use the initiative tracker built into Foundry VTT. Works very well.
I do like a lot of what AngryDM says about the game and just finished reading this part on combat and initiative. The way he describes things makes combat flow and it is fine, but it also goes against some of the stuff we have discussions on here with regards to HP and what is damage. He has the DM describing damage and hits with swords and such. It is good narration, but we have had some good ideas on that as well.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
When we play in person it’s just with minis and a map. . . If every turn could be yours, there’s less chance of that happening. It also really fosters teamwork, which is the main reason for doing it.
I try to stay away from even the minis and map because a manticore, for example, looks MUCH more scary in your imagination than as a plastic figure on a tabletop.

My initiative system doesn't limit when PCs can act, but it determines whose actions take priority. So every turn could be yours, which means that I can track initiative behind the screen and announce turns without PCs having to ask questions like "can I do something now?"

pogre

Legend
I try to stay away from even the minis and map because a manticore, for example, looks MUCH more scary in your imagination than as a plastic figure on a tabletop.
but, but, what about a well-painted metal miniature!!! ;)

I hear you. We are married to miniatures, particularly in D&D, but there are plenty of advantages to leaving it all to the imagination theater-of-the-mind style.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

My initiative system doesn't limit when PCs can act, but it determines whose actions take priority. So every turn could be yours, which means that I can track initiative behind the screen and announce turns without PCs having to ask questions like "can I do something now?"
what is your system?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
what is your system?
The rules can be found here, but the short version is this:

• All actors roll for initiative scores.*
  • Turns take place in that order - a turn is when you can focus on an effort, and the game focuses on you.
  • You can react to another character's action on another turn, but priority goes to the character taking her turn, then to the initiative scores.
  • When the last turn ends, all remaining actions are lost, and everyone gets 3 more to spend in the next round.

It has some benefits @hawkeyefan mentioned - like it's easier to use teamwork when you can coordinate actions, versus waiting for the turn-conveyor-belt.

*Just realized that step might be avoidable if it's tied to the PC's last roll...hmm....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The rules can be found here, but the short version is this:

• All actors roll for initiative scores.*
  • Turns take place in that order - a turn is when you can focus on an effort, and the game focuses on you.
  • You can react to another character's action on another turn, but priority goes to the character taking her turn, then to the initiative scores.
  • When the last turn ends, all remaining actions are lost, and everyone gets 3 more to spend in the next round.

It has some benefits @hawkeyefan mentioned - like it's easier to use teamwork when you can coordinate actions, versus waiting for the turn-conveyor-belt.

*Just realized that step might be avoidable if it's tied to the PC's last roll...hmm....
Interesting page! I'm working on an initiative system doco to sell....can I add this with your permission (slightly altered, most likely)?

Remove ads