• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Travel quirks

Stalker0

Legend
It is pretty common during travel, in my experience. Not so much in the dungeon.
Yeah, if we use the LOTR as an example. When the fellowship is traveling and facing various hardships…likely the vast majority of the time they only face one real “issue” on a given day.

Whereas once they get to Moria, now you have a multiple encounter day

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, if we use the LOTR as an example. When the fellowship is traveling and facing various hardships…likely the vast majority of the time they only face one real “issue” on a given day.

Whereas once they get to Moria, now you have a multiple encounter day
or look at TWD & any number of other things where the characters were not "safe" but regularly rested. Heck even The Thing took place over multiple days IIRC. Levelup is better than d&d in this respect but what it really comes down to is that rests & recovery is too easy/safe & there's not enough risk or resource attrition to make narrative stuff like "but it's dangerous/not safe" to be a real consequence to deter the gains right up until the GM drops a self defeating rocks fall type encounter where the players are then either TPK'd or forced to take the rest that was "dangerous".

Reynard

Legend
Tomorrow night I am starting a a new campaign (Iron Gods converted to 5E) and I think I am just going to flat not allow long rests in the dungeons. The first adventure has a clock built in, so it should push the players to explore as far as they can and conserve resources, rather than nova every room.

Remove ads