Treasure and leveling comparisons: AD&D1, B/ED&D, and D&D3 - updated 11-17-08 (Q1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
5. A question: do your numbers assume a 100% opposition kill rate? (in other words, no opponents missed) Also, do they take into account ExP earned from wandering monsters? (sometimes, these can add up to as much as the module's pre-gen's)

Heh, never thought of this one. Some are arguing that Quas' numbers are very high. This would balance things out a lot as well.

First, let me thank Quas for all this hard work -- this is fascinating.

Second -- unlike others who have posted here, I think this does match my own 1E and BD&D experience. Although the parties I DM'd (many times) through these modules didn't come out at the precise levels he has indicated, they were typically groups of 8 PCs who didn't hit every encounter, get every treasure, or have a 100% survival rate. Applying that to my nostalgic memories, and I can see hitting the same levels that Quas has posted here.

I ran a number of one player solo adventures in B/ED&D (being a too-generous young DM, I wasn't particularly deadly) and those characters would level at phenomenal rates. Both solo and party PCs had ludicrous amounts of treasure after a while ... gold that simply couldn't be spent, and surplus magic weapons for days. I have a number of character sheets and my DM records still from back in the 80s that clearly show those trends both for solo characters as well as large party play. For my group(s), that was the point of strongholds -- to have a place for your racks of surplus +1 swords.

Also, as I was raised on B/ED&D before moving to AD&D, I used the B/ED&D XP system -- stop 1 XP short of the next level, and no training time or gold requirements (something I was happy to see dropped in 3E). I did give magic item XP per the DMG tables, but didn't give XP for sold items. And I didn't ever adjust XP for encounter difficulty -- one of a number of things I'm not surprised I missed in the 1E DMG, as every time I pick that book up I find something new.

Quasqueton

First Post
A question: do your numbers assume a 100% opposition kill rate? (in other words, no opponents missed) Also, do they take into account ExP earned from wandering monsters? (sometimes, these can add up to as much as the module's pre-gen's)
My data is a listing/calculation of every set/numbered encounter in the adventure. I do not include wandering monsters (too variable).

Again, the xp/level data is not going to be a perfect representation of the exact way each and every party will level in the adventure.

The party may run through the adventure, avoiding most of the encounters, kill the BBEG, and move on with half the xp and treasure in the adventure.

The party may run in and run out, numerous times, allowing guards and such to be “restocked” between raids. They may encounter many wandering monsters. When a monster carries 2-12 gp, the DM may roll 12 (in this data collection, I assumed an average roll for all random treasure values). So this party may end up with double the xp and treasure in the adventure.

The party may hire a small army to march into the dungeon with them and have to split xp and treasure with 20 characters.

The party may number only 3 PCs (of very experienced and competent Players) and still raze the whole dungeon.

Or the party may have the average number of characters, go through and encounter each area once, get the average treasure rolls, and get the exact xp and treasure amounts I’ve listed.

I decided to go with what is listed in the adventure, straight, as is. Some people may consider these numbers the maximum potential; some may consider it the minimum expectation. I believe it is the average probability.

Considering this average probability, the only way the AD&D1 party would come out lower level than what I’ve calculated is if the game used the training rules – but polls here, and conversations I’ve had in other places (Web and Real World) shows that the majority of games did not use the training rules.

And even if you do use the training rules in the level calculations shown so far, it only reduces the AD&D1 party one level on average.

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Also, as I was raised on B/ED&D before moving to AD&D, I used the B/ED&D XP system -- stop 1 XP short of the next level, and no training time or gold requirements (something I was happy to see dropped in 3E). I did give magic item XP per the DMG tables, but didn't give XP for sold items. And I didn't ever adjust XP for encounter difficulty -- one of a number of things I'm not surprised I missed in the 1E DMG, as every time I pick that book up I find something new.
This describes my experience, as well. Although I would have given xp for sold magic items, no one ever sold a magic item in my campaigns. I generally marked out a lot of treasure (money and magic) from published adventures, and I simply didn’t put in nearly as much treasure in my homemade adventures. So the PCs didn’t usually have a surplus of either in my campaigns – by my intentional design.

[But I saw characters from other games with notebook pages full of magic items gathered from published and homemade adventures.]

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Quasqueton

First Post
Lanefan said:
Very interesting number-crunching, quas. Dare I ask how long it took?
Time depends on the adventure.

The T1-4 adventure has the xp value of each creature right in the creature’s stat block, so that was straight forward. This was a convenient feature of the mega-module design. In other adventure modules, I have to refer to the back of the DMG for the pre-calculated (except for the hit point variable) xp award.

The B2 adventure required me to calculate the xp for each monster encountered.

Getting the gp and magic required reading each encounter area description with a close eye because the info was mixed in with the text – Gygax (the author of the adventures I’ve so far covered for AD&D1 and B/ED&D) seemed to have a “stream of consciousness” style of writing in his adventure modules.

The D&D3 adventure required me to look up the CR of each creature and then look up the xp on the DMG chart. Finding the treasure was much easier though, as the current style of adventure module layout tends to organize the DM info better for quicker reference and reading.

Although I didn’t time my work, I’d figure it took me about 1.5 hours to go through an adventure (or two levels in the ToEE) and pull out the data. Figure 1 hour to calculate it all and write it up in an ENWorld forum format.

I’ve read these adventures so closely, now, that I could probably run them without the texts.

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
Quasqueton said:
So, I will continue listing the data as I have. Polls here on ENWorld show that most people never used the “measure of challenge” or the training rules in actual AD&D1 play. (I also have read that Gygax, himself, did not use those rules – MerricB, do you have a link to those statements?) Although polls on ENWorld shouldn’t be taken as universal fact, it does show me that most people here find the data in line with their real/actual play experiences.

We used it.

If you do not account for the RAW of the editions described, it is no wonder that the experiences of those who used the RAW differ from the numbers you are showing.

Either way, though, the raw data (pun intended) is interesting enough. I'm sure that, if someone else is interested enough, they can go through it again to deal with the XP/Training issues.

RC

Quasqueton

First Post
If you do not account for the RAW of the editions described, it is no wonder that the experiences of those who used the RAW differ from the numbers you are showing.

Either way, though, the raw data (pun intended) is interesting enough. I'm sure that, if someone else is interested enough, they can go through it again to deal with the XP/Training issues.
I’ve adhered to the RAW as closely as possible in this data. The training rules (including the xp-stop) makes any such general calculations extremely complicated at best, and just impossible at worst.

Because of the variable xp charts in AD&D1, someone doing the calculations must judge the xp cut off for the different classes at different times. Then one must figure, “well, does the party stop the adventure and let the one or two PCs train up, or do they continue and tell the PCs to just suck up the xp loss?” If they don’t stop, then the different PCs will have different xp totals – the thief stops at 1,251 and can’t gain anymore, but the magic-user continues gaining up to 2,501. So when the party does decide to stop for training, and they all level up, the magic-user has double the xp total as the thief, even though they were on the same adventure.

This seriously screws over the classes with lower xp needs – kind of destroys this class item as a feature and balancing factor. (What’s the benefit of having low xp needs when you can only level up at the same time as another class that requires much more xp? Might as well all have the same xp needs.)

And, someone doing the calculations must do some figuring as to when a game session or dungeon delve ends/breaks and when the DM would award xp. This is pure guess work, and is too variable to make any kind of probability data.

This variability is the same reason why I haven’t included the xp for magic items. A single character gets the xp for an item he uses, but the gp-xp value is spread among the party if they sell it. And what if no one uses the item, but they don’t sell it either?

Figuring the data as some are suggesting would variabalize it out of any probability or comparative usefulness.

It’s like talking about an AD&D1 1st-level fighter’s hit points. If I say the fighter has 6 hit points (taking the average and rounding up, and not including a Con modifier), some would be correct in saying that the fighter could actually have anywhere from 1 to 14 hit points – the d10 variable plus Con modifier. This is technically correct, but it doesn’t do any good when you are trying to look at the average probability, or trying to compare it to other editions. (And then, of course, there’d be others saying they use different methods of rolling hit points, and so their results would be vastly different.)

But I would hope that everyone could agree on 6 hit points for an AD&D 1st-level fighter as a baseline for discussion and comparison. Or you can dismiss any discussion or comparison because assuming 6 hit points doesn't fit the full rule range and doesn't jive with someone's personal game experience ("I never had a fighter with more than 5 hit points.")

Quasqueton

Last edited:

jcfiala

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:

How would you suggest doing that? Was there a general time period that most groups would stop for retraining? Was it when 2 people needed retraining? When 75% of the group did? Did groups finish a module before being able to retrain?

I never used the retraining rules when playing AD&D1, so I'm curious.

Rothe

First Post
jcfiala said:
How would you suggest doing that? Was there a general time period that most groups would stop for retraining? Was it when 2 people needed retraining? When 75% of the group did? Did groups finish a module before being able to retrain?

I never used the retraining rules when playing AD&D1, so I'm curious.

I can only answer from personal experience but generally when 2 people needed training; for the one DM who used training. Our parties were typically 4 PCs without henchmen (but with a trained war dog typically). We never got xp for treasure even with the guy who used training. What we would do is leave the dungeon to train. Since the dungeon might restock and prepare for our visit we might just never go back, or very cautiously scout it first to see if they reinforced. IIRC we never finished a dungeon with this DM because of the training interrupted the dungeon crawl. Since we got no xp of gold we still got pretty far, yet I'm sure this frustrated this DM. Luckily he didn't try to railroad us into doing something we as players and our characters would never do: attack a position that has been prepared and reinforced for weeks by an enemy that now knows your tactics/abilities.

I'd be interested to see how others who did use training played modules. Did you leave to train? If so did you go back to the dungeon? And if you went back to the dungeon where its denizens prepared for your return?

In all the other 1e AD&D campaigns back in the day (1979-1984), my own included, we never got xp for gold, never had training (except in certain cleric and MU cases or if you wanted to be a bard) and one could level on the spot IF to get experience you did things your class normally did/acted like your class, used your class abilities etc. It was a training by doing mentality. In these campaigns we did tend to clean out dungeons and were very methodical about it.

You might think with no xp for gold we leveled very slowly and with no training costs we got obscenely rich. Not really on both accounts. On the first we typically played on average 20-30 hours per week every week, that's well over a 1,000 hours of playing per year with marathon weeks during holidays. We never got obscenely rich for our level either because encumberance rules were strictly enforced. Thus, it was hard to carry out too much coin even with bags of holding. There was also taxes, tithes if a cleric, paladin, druid or ranger, dues if a member of a thieves guild, and getting new spells was costly as none ever sprang to mind when leveling. We also invariably played good aligned characters so we often made donations to various temples, our characters families, the poor, etc. if nothing else, to ensure some friendly clerics for raise dead etc. spells and a friendly base of operations. You'd be surprised how hard it is for someone to assasinate you when you are loved by the servants and common folk in a village. ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Great work, Quasqueton. Really good stuff.

My experience is that 1e/2e PCs do not level very differently at lower levels than 3e. But advancement ground to a virtual halt ~8th level in earlier editions because of the exponential xp goals (which one would expect to change radically once one hit the 'teen levels if the DM does not purposefully hold back on the gp -- but I have no significant personal experience in campaigns at those levels to confirm this).

I am very curious about the G-series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases