D&D 5E Trickery Cleric gaining Proficiencies

I am also baffled why they didn't get an additional skill proficiency
Starting with 4 skills means the CoT is equal to the Rogue.
Also between Dwarves and Elves for weapon proficiencies, Half Elves and Kenku for bonus skills, there are plenty of ways that already exist, that garner a PC extra proficencies.
It's the worst cleric IMHO

Yeah granting a +4 to +7 to a fellow PC's Stealth checks through Guidance and Blessing of the Trickster is just terrible. The fact that it costs no resources makes it even worse. 😀

That Domain spell lis is horrible as well...who would even use spells like Dispel Magic, Charm Person, or Polymorph.

Invoke Duplicity just gives you Advantage on Spiritual Weapon attacks and Inflict Wounds spells, as well as weapon attacks....ohh the horror. A non dispellable target, that can be used as the origin point to cast spells....how could that ever be useful?
Ranged Healer? Ranged Blaster? Decoy?

Im sure you are right, the subclass is just awful...nothing unique or useful. ✌

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Starting with 4 skills means the CoT is equal to the Rogue.
Also between Dwarves and Elves for weapon proficiencies, Half Elves and Kenku for bonus skills, there are plenty of ways that already exist, that garner a PC extra proficencies.

Yeah granting a +4 to +7 to a fellow PC's Stealth checks through Guidance and Blessing of the Trickster is just terrible. The fact that it costs no resources makes it even worse. 😀

That Domain spell lis is horrible as well...who would even use spells like Dispel Magic, Charm Person, or Polymorph.

Invoke Duplicity just gives you Advantage on Spiritual Weapon attacks and Inflict Wounds spells, as well as weapon attacks....ohh the horror. A non dispellable target, that can be used as the origin point to cast spells....how could that ever be useful?
Ranged Healer? Ranged Blaster? Decoy?

Im sure you are right, the subclass is just awful...nothing unique or useful. ✌
To be fair, being the worst cleric is kind of like being the shortest giant. You’re still probably taller than most folks.

That said, I don’t think it’s the worst cleric subclass. That’d probably be Knowledge in my opinion.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
To be fair, being the worst cleric is kind of like being the shortest giant. You’re still probably taller than most folks.

That said, I don’t think it’s the worst cleric subclass. That’d probably be Knowledge in my opinion.

It was trying to be the Corellon one, and the Moradin one, not just the Ioun one.

It was bound to come short, especially when WotC have made alternate takes on those first two's knowledgy-domains - Arcana and Forge, respectively.

I'd argue Tempest would be in a similar position (trying to be Kord's, Melora's, and the Raven Queen's domains all at once), but it hangs in there on the strength of being almost as potent a martial cleric as the War Domain is.

Zardnaar

Legend

Knowledge makes a decent skull monkey.

Guidance may or may not work on stealth since it requires noise.

Last edited:

I like Knowledge clerics as well....apparently poorly regarded cleric subclasses are my thing.
Knowledge clerics can approximate a psychometric psychic character fairly well.
Identify always being prepared is great.
The 6th level Channel Divinity power is useful as well.

auburn2

Adventurer

I guess everyone has their own opinion but mine is like the opposite of yours in every way. I am not a fan of clerics to start with and think the worst Cleric would be like the shortest halfling ..... but as far as clerics go I tend to like knowledge the most of any subclass because of the extra languages, skills, expertise in those skills and temporary proficiency on demand. :oops:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I guess everyone has their own opinion but mine is like the opposite of yours in every way. I am not a fan of clerics to start with and think the worst Cleric would be like the shortest halfling ..... but as far as clerics go I tend to like knowledge the most of any subclass because of the extra languages, skills, expertise in those skills and temporary proficiency on demand. :oops:
Wow, yeah, we have pretty opposite tastes in Clerics then. That’s alright though, it’s good that the game has something for both of us.

Zardnaar

Legend
I like Knowledge clerics as well....apparently poorly regarded cleric subclasses are my thing.
Knowledge clerics can approximate a psychometric psychic character fairly well.
Identify always being prepared is great.
The 6th level Channel Divinity power is useful as well.

I rated the knowledge cleric high as they are good at being a skill monkey and are still a primary caster.

Skill monkeys being useful. And they're a primary caster with useful spell list.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
I see the class as a martial subclass since they get divine strikes. That was the only reason. When a Cleric subclass gets divine strike I assume that they have martial weapon proficiency.
IMO, rogue weapons or finesse weapons are more appropriate for Trickery domain.
Good idea about the damage type. Psychic is both more appropriate and more effective than poison.

Remove ads